This is the one and only Nerine lily in our garden, isn't it pretty? There are a couple of plants together, but only one is flowering at present.
Last week was very musical. On Thursday I was asked to sing at the craft group's annual Cancer Council fundraising morning tea, so I sang a song about the Rajah Quilt written by my friend Cathy Miller. Neither the song nor the quilt were known to the group, and several people told me afterwards how much they enjoyed it. Then on Sunday two choirs I sang in won their sections at the local eisteddfod, which pleased us all greatly! I gather that last year they were beaten by a school choir, and so with this year's win honour was satisfied again.
We had some rain a few days ago, and very welcome it was too. Yesterday I planted the lemon balm and sweet pea seedlings bought at the recent monthly markets. When we brought them home they sat on the kitchen bench for a few hours, but unfortunately Bianca The Beautiful (but slightly brainless) discovered them and chomped some sweet pea leaves. Then of course she heaved them up again.......as cats do........fortunately not on the carpet. One poor little seedling I planted looked slightly bereft of leaves, hopefully it will soon recover and we will have a pretty display of sweet peas in spring.
Did you know, in the language of flowers sweet pea means "departure" or "delicate pleasures"? Nerines are part of the Amaryllis family of lilies, and Amaryllis means "pride" or "splendid beauty". In days gone by people would choose their flowers according to their meaning, so a bouquet conveyed a message.
"Bring one of the commonest field flowers into a room, place it on a table, or chimney-piece, and you seem to have brought a ray of sunshine into the place. There is a cheerfulness about flowers. What a delight are they to the drooping invalid! They are a sweet enjoyment, coming as messengers from the country, and seeming to say "Come and see the place where we grow, and let your heart be glad in our presence."
I wonder what message a bouquet containing Nerines and sweet peas would say? Possibly nothing quite as flowery as the sentiment contained in that quote from 1885.
Enjoy your days!

I love Nerine's and used to have lots in a garden in a past life.... oneof my neices is named Nerine... love your whirlygig.... so now a pattern designer too??
ReplyDeleteHugz
Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteThe quilt looks good so far, and the border sounds just right.
Judy B
Oh, I love your quilt!! - it's so bright and playful. What a great design to have those smaller pinwheels in between. Can't wait to see this one finished!
ReplyDeleteKaren in N.S.
just look at all those pinwheels - whodathunk?!? very clever, you are!
ReplyDelete