.........which is why the last post was over a week ago. It is rare indeed for The Dreaded Lurgy to strike twice in one year, I thought when I was struck down earlier this year that was it for at least a twelvemonth, but no. To cap it off Kevin has also come down with a cold, so we have been a pair of crook old crocks together. We struggled on manfully and womanfully trying our best to take care of ourselves and each other, but last night we succumbed to a pizza.
So in the absence of any pics of this week's happenings (because there haven't been any, unless you count much sniffling and coughing) here is some delicious rosiness taken last October - which is spring here - while visiting an open garden out in the country, about half an hour or so out of town.
One thing which came my way this week was a family birth certificate. My maternal grandmother died many years ago and on her grave marker are the names of her husband and her four children.......which came as a great surprise to me when I first saw it. I knew of course of my mother (well, really, I mean.....) and her younger brother, and an older sister born of my grandmother's first marriage, but the fourth name was a surprise. My mother had very little knowledge of her oldest sister and I had always assumed that she was also a daughter of Nana's first husband - from whom, by the way, she was divorced when she married my grandfather or so it says on their marriage certificate, which must have raised some eyebrows in the early 1920s - but no. She was born when Nana was only 18, there are no details of her father on her birth certificate, in fact the word Illegitimate is written baldly under her name. Poor little baby Lily May, what a burden to carry! I now know that my aunt Lily May was born in 1906 and I found a record on an official site that says she married in 1939, so I may follow that up. Perhaps she had children? They would be my cousins.
Unfortunately there are no photos of Lily May that I know of, certainly none in my possession.
Interestingly my mother's first name was Mavis, and she was often called May - perhaps that was a gesture to her oldest sister? We shall probably never know now, because I am now part of the oldest generation in the family; there is no one I can ask.

"Presents from Godfathers.
The sponsors must make their godchild a present of some sort - a silver mug, a knife, spoon and fork, a handsomely-bound bible, or perhaps a costly piece of lace or embroidery suitable for infants' wear. The godfather may give a cup, with name engraved, and the godmother the christening robe and cap."
Somehow I don't think Lily May was given anything silver or handsome or lacy at her birth or christening, but I would love to be wrong.
Enjoy your days!

Sorry you have been so crook... and hope you are back to your usual self soon... an amazing story about Lily May... our think it was so hard for our predecessors in so many ways... such expectations from society can't have been easy..... I hope you find some cousins...
ReplyDeleteHugz
SO sorry to hear you and Kevin have been sick, that really is not fun and esp when you can't enjoy the taste of coffee and chocolate - life is dull when you can't enjoy those to delish tastes!! Your birth cert. hunt and find is fascinating. I love hearing stories like these, they just make you wish you could go back in time and meet these people don't they. I sure hope you feel better soon, take care and big hugs!
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better soon Jennifer. Being sick is the pits. Take it easy! It really does help.
ReplyDeleteI do genealogy and I've found surprises like yours in a few of branches of my family.I hope you can find out more about Lily.
poor little Lily May - i've often wondered why it is that Society places the Red I on the child and not on the two people who, for whatever reason, created the baby ... of my six grandchildren, only one was conceived "legitimately" and i don't care one little bit (the Great Grandmothers have nothing nice to say, though - maybe because they think that since their children were the products of miserable marriages that everyone else should be miserable, too)
ReplyDeleteHope the two of you feel better soon! We are currently having very hot and humid weather; but will not complain ..... fall will be here far too soon.
ReplyDeleteQuel bummer about the lurgy! Twice in a year is just plain rude.
ReplyDeletePoor old Lily May! I guess, when people like to hark back to "the good old days", they weren't the ones they were thinking of? We might bemoan the loss of manners and the pace of past times, but at least there are fewer of these daft social rules.
Sad to think we'll never get answers to these family questions. I guess it means we should be writing down what happened in our lives, since by the time our kids think to ask, we might be gone too.
I hope you and your husband are better now!
ReplyDeletePoor little Lily May. If you do find out more, I hope you share.
Oh the Lurgy word is so very English! My girlfriend used that word to describe her illnesses too. LilyMay, what a lovely name to add to a family. The story is so interesting that you must pursue it...keep us posted. A divorcee must have raised eyebrows for sure at that time, even in Australia where life was accepted more freely, considering that the ancestors show so many "criminals" and maybe the "loose" women of the time. Makes for hardy souls in this day and age. Another lovely blog Jennifer.
ReplyDeleteOh that word Lurgy! My girlfriend said it all the time to describe her illnesses. Lily May, what a lovely story even though it is sad. It's part of the Aussie story isn't it? Divorced women had to have a strength that makes up the history of the land. I think that certainly accounts for the stamina of the strong women of Australia.
ReplyDeleteI hope you're feeling better and yes, poor little Lily May.
ReplyDelete