Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

We're heading off again!

That's right.....day after tomorrow we are hitching up the caravan and heading off to Canberra, to visit our older son and to spend Easter weekend at the National Folk Festival.  We've been going for many years now and always enjoy it; due to a misunderstanding last year I ended up working many more volunteer hours than were required and was in two minds whether to volunteer again.  It felt as though I only had half a festival, but that won't happen this year.

So you won't hear from me for a couple of weeks, because although we will be taking our Lovely New Laptop Computer I won't be sitting around surfing the net when I could be singing, or playing music, or listening to a great concert, or having a drink with friends.
These pictures were taken about 18 months ago when we visited a beautiful garden about 40 minutes south of here.  The picture above was the view from the garden looking north (I think), and below is a corner of the garden.
Can you spot the little blue wren?  He (boys are blue, girls are brown) is much brighter than the forget-me-nots behind him.  Lately we have been visited by a family of wrens, one blue male and several brown birds......although they may not all be female, as it says here.  They are very sweet little birds.  It's difficult to imagine how tiny their little toe bones must be, isn't it?

Last Saturday night we attended the theatre, the local amateur society is performing "The Mousetrap" by Agatha Christie - it was very well done, and very entertaining!  However I can't tell you the ending or who the villain is, because at the conclusion of the performance one of the actors stepped forward and enlisted the audience in the conspiracy not to tell.  Apparently that has been done at every performance of the play's 60-year run.  Agatha Christie thought it would only run for a limited time so she gave the royalties to her grandson as a gift.....he has done very well from it.

For the first time ever we are having house sitters come in to look after the house and the cats; poor old Binky doesn't like going to a boarding kennel so they can stay in their own house with their usual routine, and we will have someone keeping an eye on our house.  There is some opportunist crime in this town (as there seems to be everywhere these days) so we feel happier that the house won't be left empty for 16 days.  If it works out well then we will look at getting in a sitter for the Big Canadian Trip later in the year.

So there has been a flurry of dusting, and cleaning, and sweeping.  Don't want the sitters thinking that a sloppy housewife lives here, do we?  Still have some cleaning to do, but that's OK, we will manage.  Important things, like putting new strings on my guitar and learning a new song, and packing my knitting and the coffee grinder, have already been taken care of.  I have my priorities.

Signs of autumn are everywhere now, trees are definitely changing colour, and we know we will see even more signs as we head south.  We will be driving over mountains so can expect some cool weather - but that's all right, we have jackets, and sleeping bags and quilts for the caravan.  Easter is earlier this year than it was last year but we still expect cool weather.

"Treatment of inferiors.
Never affect superiority.  In the company of an inferior never let him feel his inferiority.  If you invite an inferior as your guest, treat him with all the politeness and consideration you would show an equal."

Remember that, next time you invite the gardener to tea.

Enjoy your days!

9 comments:

  1. I didn't notice the blue wren at first... I do love them and am so glad we have had some in our garden for the first time this year... including 2 nesting couples with babies... lovely little peeps they make.... Have a wonderful time at the festival with no overvolunteering !!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a safe journey and lots of fun. Sing up loudly so it may sail on the wind across the sea that I might hear you.
    Good that you have your Coffee grinder and some hand sewing too?
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer have a wonderful time and enjoy your fall festival it is the best time of year!
    We are getting into spring and it is already warm. will miss your posts travel safe and I hope the sitter does a great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like reading those words "Big Canadian Trip". I hope we get to meet up.
    Enjoy this one. I love camping holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jennifer, what a fantastic trip you are about to take....I wish I was going with you! I love folk festivals. And I don't blame you one little bit for not wanting to be on the computer when you have so many wonderful things to keep you occupied!

    The photos are all lovely, and that little bird is the sweetest little thing.

    I hope you have a wonderful trip and I can't wait to hear all about it when you return!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are these really what you'd call forget-me-nots? How interesting. Ours are quite different and flower in the spring. Yours look more like lobelias to me. Mind you, your wren isn't at all like ours either. Vive la difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jennifer,
    I hope that you are having a grand time with your family! I love the quotes that you share. Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where there was more politeness and consideration?
    Take care,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. the blue wren almost blends in with the scenery doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!