Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

It's well and truly autumn now

Leaves are changing, days are getting cooler, nights are getting much colder now.....down to single figures most nights.....and colours are getting more glorious.  This pic was taken last year in Bathurst, which gets colder than here so has quite impressive autumn colours.
This weekend a visiting tutor is giving a quilt workshop, and my fabrics are cut out ready to go.  Just need to pack the machine, thread and other requirements, pics will follow when my new quilt top is complete....and it may come as a surprise, but the top will be autumn-toned.

Have been reading some rumblings and grumblings about the new blogger interface, and while I didn't ask for it I have no problems using it....but then my blogging is pretty basic, I haven't tried any of the fancy-nancy stuff that some bloggers do.  One of these days I might get enthusiastic and carried away, but not yet.  I know one's blog is one's blog, and you are not doing it for other people (although some do, I'm sure) but black backgrounds are too hard on the reader's eyes.  And blingy backgrounds that keep moving and shaking and have things like snowflakes or flowers or bees or butterflies continually falling down the screen are just as bad.  Perhaps it's my imagination, but nearly every art quilter's blog that I have come across has a black background.  It's a bit like choosing what clothes to wear or how to decorate one's house - while you want to be comfortable with your own choice, others have to live with it too.  End of rant, thank you for listening, returning you to your regular station now.

Yesterday I went looking in local shops for some long pants to wear in winter.  I wear jeans quite a bit but sometimes one needs something slightly more adult - but the choice was somewhat underwhelming, falling between pull-on pants with no waistband and pull-on pants with elastic all round, with smart office wear somewhere in the middle.  There are still a few shops I haven't tried (they are in the shopping mall on the other side of the river which some locals don't like to cross, much to our amusement) I am not holding out any great hopes that something suitable will be found.  Or even exist......left over from my working days are some grey pants which have a plain front band and elastic across the back; they were loose when first bought and now the elastic has lost its stretch so much that it would be a very brave person who put them on.  But that's easily replaced, so it looks as though I have myself a little sewing task.

Back in the days when I was young and slender I used to make pants, but now that the middle-aged barrel shape has set in getting a good fit when sewing for one's self is quite difficult.  Oh dear.  It's all downhill from 25........

During our recent time at the folk festival a couple of people remarked - nicely, much to my surprise - on my rapidly whitening hair.  It's been two years now since it had any colour put in, so of course it is becoming greyer.  While I don't miss the maintenance of regular visits to the hairdresser (or the expense), and there is still quite a lot of the original darker hair left, I do miss my auburn hair.  Having no colour round the face is very unflattering, especially if one's hair is not fluffy and one's skin tone doesn't suit white.

You can tell that getting older is not something I am enjoying.  The only good thing is, it's better than the alternative.

Yesterday we girded up our loins, pulled on our walking shoes, and trotted off with the walking group.  Everyone but us has bought a shirt in red and white with the appropriate logo in the appropriate place, but when one has lots of bright coloured tee shirts why not wear them?  Especially when one does not look at all good in white.  Wearing those dazzlingly glaring white shoes is enough for me.  It was really hard work yesterday too, for some reason I didn't feel quite 100%.  Perhaps 85%.  After walking for 45 minutes it was more like 53%.  Back up to 99% today.  Walking is supposed to be very good exercise but I don't enjoy it.....all I can think of after we finish is "that's an hour of my life I can never get back"......it's like taking nasty-tasting medicine, we know it's probably doing us good but that doesn't mean we have to like it.  Once a week is more than enough for me.

"The Promenade Dress.
The dress for the promenade should be in perfect harmony with itself.  All the colors worn should harmonize if they are not strictly identical.  The bonnet should not be of one colour, and parasol of another, the dress of a third and the gloves of a fourth.  Now should one article be new and another shabby.  The collars and cuffs should be of lace; the kid gloves should be selected to harmonize with the color of the dress, a perfect fit.  The jewellery worn should be bracelets, cuff-buttons, plain gold ear-rings, a watch-chain and brooch."

The good ladies of 1885 would no doubt be horrified if they could see what the walking group wears, wouldn't they?  But on the other hand, perhaps they would be envious - it's probably easier to stride out in current clothing than in the skirts, petticoats and corsets of those times.

Enjoy your days!



10 comments:

  1. you always give me something to think about.... we must have stopped colouring our hair at much the same time... I also stopped cutting mine (though Hubz has done a trim).
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I emphathize with your pant shopping/sewing experiences. I am looking for some summer pants here and having no luck. I don't wear shorts or capris and that seems to be all the stores have. Sewing them is just too hard and the fabric is too expensive to have a disaster. Good for you to walk for an hour. I'm pleased when I make it for 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer I can certainly relate with regards to the waist and hair. I too stopped having mine coloured but would like it to go whiter than mousy grey. I love seeing the autumn colours which remind me of when I used to live in Sydney. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing a great, honest post! It's so true about weight/shape and getting older. I remember a few years back trying on a bathing suit, noticing a new roll around the middle, thinking when did that happen?? ;-)
    I stopped dyeing my hair a year ago, and now it's white on the sides and gray elsewhere. I miss my auburn hair too, but it's been rather freeing to not dye it anymore.
    Enjoy your quilting weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jennifer, you crack me up at times. I agree with exercising - it's an hour lost, but on the other hand I'm hoping it will make the aging process a tad easier, since nothing else about it seems to be easy. Your hair sounds beautiful and like you when I quit coloring it was freeing and it's nice to be done with all of that. Sounds like fall and winter are there for a while and summer is just beginning for us. The heat is on and I don't want to wear shorts just yet. Oy vey. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness we have similar opinions!.
    I too prefer plain surrounds and quick to load blogs. Some fonts/ type faces are so hard to read. I also get a fright when music suddenly blares out. My Husband listens to things with it turned up loud and I forget to check, so get some surprises.
    Like you I stopped having my hair coloured about 2 years ago.... it is very pale and white near my face ( but grey at the back ). My complection has always been pale so I get a shock when I look in the mirror sometimes. ( what is my mother doing there? )The only hairdresser I trusted left for the big smoke and to teach at hairdressing school so since then it has been me alone, going snip snip.( the savings add up)
    Where on earth are you going top find a parasol that matches those pants?
    Sounds like you need to walk with a purpose...taking photos, looking for something...to a destination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started going white in my 30s and while I colored it for a while, stopped about 15 years ago. I found myself in the drugstore staring at the hair dyes just this week. I too miss my red hair!

    As to black blog backgrounds -- I couldn't agree more. If I stumble upon a blog with a black background, I leave immediately rather than strain my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you were listening to my grumblings last week, I made a decision to begin walking into town, as the shape is changing, wont go on about the hair, stopped colouring it years ago and to be honest it is probably the healthiest its been. :) so I work on the theory for every negative there is a positive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't be bothered dying my hair so I don't, but I wish everyone else would stop too so that they didn't look younger than me when they aren't!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree on the dark colours of blogs, and the busy busy sides. I just don't go there anymore. I loved one of those so much, but had to take it off my list as I used up so much of my satellite time viewing her. Sometimes, I see her still in my fav blogs, but am careful to see if it's a long blog.
    I like simple, simple, easy to read blogs. Show a photo or two, don't take long to download and away I go.
    I went to Walmart in Florida and found White Stag pants. Wahoo! great fits and great prices. Black and Beige, will take one anywhere and I can wear any colour tee with it.
    Gloves are for keeping my hands warm going across the lake! I don't worry about colours.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!