Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Not much to see yet, folks.......

........just some dirt, and some stones which used to be the edge of the garden against the fence.
 More dirt, hard-packed where pavers (now edging the new path) used to be.  You can see the feral geraniums in the corner bed.
  The new path will be curved, and won't be grassed.
The back yard in its entirety - as you can see, it's not very big.
But on the other side of the fence is a hill with trees, and kangaroos, and kookaburras and parrots and other birds.....so who needs a big yard?  The path will be gravel and the curved sections will enclose garden beds with native plants.  Some plants already in the garden will stay and there will be some lovely new ones.  The posts (one in this pic, the other in front of the small green shed in the first pic) are supports for the wash line; like many Aussies I don't own - have never owned - a drier.  Sunshine and wind for drying washing are free.

This week a ukulele group had its first meeting at the local music school, and great fun it was too.  There were 12 or 14 of us who turned up, but I am wondering how many will stick with it.  The folks who didn't have their own instrument (although the school owns some which can be borrowed), have never played an instrument before, and can't read music, seemed to find it a bit hard.  We'll see how many make the trek up that steep staircase again on Tuesday night.

On our last visit to Canada I managed to fall and break my arm which duly healed, and is pretty much right now.  But that fall also damaged my left shoulder, and scans and tests a few months later showed a torn tendon....no wonder it was hurting......so it was treated with physiotherapy and a cortisone injection, and was fine until recently.  However for several weeks now the shoulder has been painful so my doctor suggested an ultrasound, which shows that the tear has deepened.  No wonder it's hurting again.....so back to physiotherapy this week......words were said about an operation to fix the tear, but that's a last resort as far as I am concerned.  The doctor and I decided to treat it with PT and exercise, have another ultrasound in a year, and if the tear is worse then I will have the operation - the idea of Going Under The Knife fills me with dread, as does a hospital stay; it's the loss of dignity, privacy and personal space that is hard to cope with.

In 43 days we will start our holiday.

Quilting of the challenge quilt is proceeding slowly.  Very slowly........it has to be well and truly finished before we go away.......perhaps if I sat at the sewing machine rather than the computer, that might be a good start.......

"Etiquette of card playing.
Never urge any one who seems to be unwilling to play a game of cards.  They may have conscientious scruples in the matter, which must be respected.
If you have no scruples of conscience, it is not courteous to refuse, when a game cannot be made up without you."

Supposing one just does not know the card game being played, scruples or not?

Enjoy your days!

11 comments:

  1. your new landscaping will be lovely - and i doubt that you will miss taking care of the grass...

    i am going to walk away from the computer now, and sit in front of the sewing machine ... i might even flick on his switch and sew a few seams...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love the looks of the path you're having built, so pretty and then with the native gardens, LOVE IT!! And you're so right with the big natural area right at your fence, who needs a big yard or the upkeep!! So sorry to hear about your shoulder, having had shoulder surgery I agree with you that it should be the last resort, it's difficult to recover from and it hurts. Shots and exercise should help a lot and perhaps keep the knife away, hopefully for quite a while. Around here a shoulder tear surgery is an outpatient surgery so you dont' have the hospital stay and all that goes with it. For now enjoy the yard re-do and the trip you're going to take. Big Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jennifer....the back garden is going to be quite lovely! I can hardly wait to see the finished product!

    My DH had shoulder surgery 14 years ago..resulting in 6 weeks of light duty at work. The good thing about the surgery? It was done in the morning and once he'd come out of recovery, they sent him home to recuperate! Perhaps, if you need the surgery, you will be fortunate enough that they can send you home, too. Will keep fingers crossed that the PT will make surgery unnecessary! have a lovely holiday in Canada...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your back yard blitz in action. (maybe it will give me ideas for things I can do in mine - which is about 20 times the size of yours!)

    Like you Im quite anti - operation/hospital , which is ironic since I have a nursing degree .

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new back yard is looking good.
    I hope the shoulder heals and is not painful during your upcoming trip to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yard is looking good. Love hanging my clothes out. They smell so good when you bring them in. After reading about you spiffing up your yard, I finally talked the fella into at least starting the painting. We're on our way here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just catching up on reading and look what a big change at your place in the 2 weeks I have been gone.. the garden is looking great.... the countdown is on... I need to start one too!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting the garden is .... those curved lines help to make your yard look bigger. It is be wonderful once finished!

    Sad to hear about your shoulder ... hopefully it doesn't give you grief while on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is going to be beautiful. I think the planning is the most im,portant part, though boring. Wait till you can let your head go with the planting!

    Sorry to hear that shoulder is still (again) troubling you. Be very careful this time, and if you turn out to need surgery it sounds as if it's not a big deal and might just be worth doing if it's going to save you lots more pain and disability down the track. [Getting off my high horse now LOL]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet anticipation! Your backyard is going to be lovely.
    I'm so sorry about your shoulder injury. I'm with you-anything I can do to avoid a hospital stay I'll do. Here's hoping that it will heal in time so it won't bother you anymore.
    Since I don't know any card games, they would be sorely disappointed in me as a partner!
    Take care,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the cottage, only the septic gets big flowers, the rest is just the natural life around us.
    The only rule I follow playing cards is to not pic up any card till the dealer has finished dealing.
    You don't need a big yard Jennifer, it is naturally beautiful beyond the fence.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!