Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Here we are in 2013

It seems like yesterday that the world was so worried about the Y2K bug.....remember that?  It was a bit of a fizzer, from memory.  We spent New Year's Eve watching the last night of the proms on TV, drinking bubbly, and eating nibblies; we even made it to past midnight, a feat not accomplished every year.

Here's a pretty party frock for you to drool over.
 I'm sorry about the reflections but as it was behind glass it was difficult to avoid them.  Believe it or not, this pretty dress and flower bouquet are made of table napkins!  It was a display at the Butchart Gardens.
Joan's Bench looks over a beautiful view in Sidney, on Vancouver Island.
We also enjoyed the view and the wonder of it all.  Benches overlooking the bay were dedicated to different people.

How are you going with your new year's resolutions....have you broken them yet?  I decided years ago that I would only have one, and that was not to make any resolutions at all.  Saves a lot of strife and heartbreak, don't you think?

It's been a lazy time over Christmas and the new year.  Our older son and his girlfriend came to visit and it was good to see them.  Next time we're together will be at Easter.

The sewing room has a project on the go, or rather two projects - some new summer jammies for me.  Bright yellow jammies, just shorts and a tank top in knit fabric, comfy and cool for the heat we've been having.  Solid yellow fabric and yellow spot fabric, with the pieces being mixed and matched.  There may be a pic of the finished garments, but not with me in them.  Trust me on this.   There are also blocks to be made into charity quilts so perhaps that should get done....and I am itching to get stuck into the projects brought back from Canada.  Karen very generously sent me a couple of her patterns, they were waiting for me when we arrived in Toronto, and some fabrics purchased in Victoria (that's B.C. not Aust.) will be just The Very Thing for one of them.

A few days ago while having the fit of the new glasses tweaked I had the opportunity of watching the passing parade, as the optometrist is situated on a corner of the main street.  When will people realise that rubber thongs (that's footwear, flip flops, not underwear) do not constitute fashion wear?  One young chicky was wearing a pretty dress, carried a nice bag, and had rubber thongs on her little tootsies.  I felt like taking her to the shoe shop across the road and pointing out the pretty sandals which were on sale.

"Visiting costumes.
Visiting costumes, or those worn at a funeral or informal calls, are of richer material than walking suits.  The bonnet is either simple or rich, according to the taste of the wearer.  A jacket of velvet, or shawl, or fur-trimmed mantle are the concomitants of the carriage dress for winter.  In summer all should be bright, cool, agreeable to wear and pleasant to look at."  

"Pleasant to look at"......I'm afraid that rubber footwear is not.  It may be very comfortable in the privacy of one's own home, and that's where it should stay.  It does have its uses I will admit, but in public, worn with a pretty dress, is not it.

Enjoy your days!

8 comments:

  1. that was a lovely view... I love going places where there are benches to sits and thinks....
    I am one who does not like wearing the rubber thongs (footwear or underwear kind)... with or without a party dress which could or could not be made of napkins...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things some people create...amazing. So is the view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Cairns we also enjoyed watching the Last Night of the Proms which was great fun. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have three pairs of designer things and rarely wear them around Adelaide because I tend to agree with you . But when Im on holidays all bets are off. I live in thongs then !

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I was thinking about Y2k - I was a programmer at the time and it was a huge blown up deal. And it turned out to be not much of anything. I love the dress made of napkins, some people are so creative. As for rubber flip flops, oh lord I wish they'd outlaw them, they are just ugly and should only be worn at home I think. Happy New Year my friend, hope it's a year of wonderful blessings for you and yours!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. the prom dress reminds me of my sister's prom dress ... except that hers was white and puffy instead of blue and puffy ... i remember her being uncomfortable BEFORE she tired to sit down in it - i can't imagine what it was like riding in the car with Andy Rossersomethingorother...

    i am not committing any self-made promises to paper (or computer screen) again this year - if i don't write it down, it never happened, right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No actual resolutions here - just aspirations...

    No snow here, by the way. That was two years ago. It's springlike. So far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting dress! I'm with you on the thongs. The other day when it was 12 degrees F, we were cycling in full gear when we passed a college student in shorts and flip flops!? Brave or foolish, depending on your viewpoint I guess.
    I think I'd fall short on the dressing up part of visiting in days gone by as I'm a jeans/boots type of gal....
    Enjoy your sewing and have a great week!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!