The pic below is part of the famous Sunken Garden. Have I ever mentioned that I am quite fond of green? The different shades of green make it a year-round garden.
Sometimes one leaf stands out from its surroundings, as this one did.
This maple leaf on a driveway seemed to be on fire.....it was glowing on a dull afternoon.
Much cooler weather than we are currently having, and much more pleasant. Many Canadians we met on our holiday were surprised that we would choose cool weather to visit them, but if those nice folk were to suffer (and I do mean suffer) weather like we are having this summer they would know why we enjoyed their fall. Oh well, only a few months until autumn rolls round once more.......hope we can survive that long.
Yesterday morning the broken foot and I had a session with Emma the Physiotherapist, and I am pleased to report that we - the foot and I - are now moving much more freely and with less pain. The swelling isn't as bad as it was, and we have some exercises to do to help the healing along and an elastic bandage to wear to help keep the swelling down. Halloween was many many weeks ago and my foot has been swollen and sore since then, and I am fed up with not being able to take a step without it hurting. I was pleased, though, to have a reason for the swelling and pain, that it wasn't just me being a wuss. According to the medical report it is "still healing", so things are being taken gently.......dancing the rumba will have to wait a little longer.
Unfortunately it has also curtailed my machine sewing, but the new jammies are getting closer to be finished. One pair is already done, while the other only needs hems on the top and pants to be measured, pinned and sewn. That won't take long, indeed it may even get done today.
A few hours west of here over the past few days have been suffering very bad bush fires with many houses and farms destroyed, but no lives lost thank goodness. It saddens me to watch, on news reports, people who have lost nearly all they own except the clothes they are wearing being asked by reporters "and how did you feel when you saw that your house and everything in it was gone?" How crass and insensitive is that? For heaven's sake, leave them to grieve their losses in peace and privacy.
There are no more unfortunate lapses of good taste in clothing to report this week, you will be pleased to hear. However, as the town is now having its annual influx of music fans we can expect to see more. Why is it that many people, when on holiday, don't think that ordinary rules of dressing decently apply to them? Do they leave their good taste (if, indeed, they have any) at home? Just because you are visiting a town you don't live in is no reason for sloppiness.
"Opera dress.
Opera dress for matinees maybe as elegant as for morning calls. A head dress is generally worn even by those who occupy boxes, it may be as dressy as one chooses to make it. In the evening ladies are at liberty to wear evening dresses, with ornaments in their hair, instead of a bonnet, and as the effect of light colors is much better than dark in a well-lighted opera house, they should predominate."
Performances during The Festival will be in a variety of venues from small halls to large theatres, but except for one gala night people don't generally dress up to this extent. Wouldn't it be nice if they did?
Enjoy your days!




I have to admit to being a bit envious of my families -5 pictures in the snow at the moment... it is hard to see the plants and ground just sizzling... glad to hear the foot is improving...
ReplyDeleteI totally agree about the media's quiestions... sometimes they are just plain stupid
Hugz
From what I hear of Canada right now, the winter is mild, but messy. I take warmth over it all, but your heat waves are coming and coming are they not?
ReplyDeleteSerena Williams playing tennis got the bandage of bandages for her ankle and won, gees, how come that doesn't happen to us? Stay off it and elevated is good.
I watch Downton Abbey each week and my dear they look to be in opera dresses all the time....to me at least.
Morning Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteOh my don't think you really want to be back here. I know you said Victoria of which I have no idea of the weather, but we are into low, make that very low digits for awhile. In Sudbury today with the wind chill it will feel like -28*. Yes, that is a minus.
Good to hear the foot is much better. We don't treat your body parts well when you visit, do we?
Insensitive? Oh, I could use a much stronger word for the reporters that are in the field. Its too bad people aren't on their toes and toss the question back at them.
Ah beautiful autumn, it's my favorite season. And I look forward to spring for the same reasons, fresh beginings as autumn is an end to a long hot season. I much prefer the cold to the extremen heat, you can always layer in the cold. Sounds like the media is the same everywhere, anything for a story and to sensationalize human tragedy. So sad. Hugs and glad the foot is slowly doing better!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the wonderful photos! I agree with you, I'll take cooler temperatures any day! Glad to hear that your foot is doing much better.
ReplyDeleteI remember when we were living in Alabama and a huge tornado went through the area. Reporters asked an elderly woman how she felt as she stood in front of what was left of her childhood home, and the only thing left were the stairs leading to her house and an American flag. Can you imagine being that insensitive? I guess it must come with the job....
i've been wearing six or seven layers lately - today it was warm enough for just three, so i guess that means we've had a heat wave ...... we had a summer of reporters asking the same stupid questions - and now they are doing the same thing with the Aurora theater shooting victims - i wish they would just shut up and leave people alone to process their grief...
ReplyDelete