Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

We're having a heatwave.....

.......a tropical heatwave,
It isn't surprising the temperature's rising,
She certainly can.....can can!

Remember that song?

We are indeed having a heatwave, although it's not tropical.  For over a week now it's been very hot with the occasional day of 40 deg C, that's over 100F in old numbers, and more to come in the next week or so.  Bush fires have burnt many properties in different states, although, touch wood, so far no lives have been lost.  But people have lost their homes, businesses, all their possessions, schools have gone; while it's not as catastrophic as the fires of a few years ago it's not over yet.  Coastal towns which usually have milder temperatures than we get have been hot - some even hotter than us.

These are some of the bags which came home from Canada with me.  Isn't this a fun bag?  The pattern and fabric were a gift from Rose Marie when we stayed with her.
The fabric is Stonehenge by Northcott, both the prints and the black tone-on-tone, and is beautiful fabric to work with.  The pattern didn't use lining, but I added one - the base is quite sturdy so I felt the sides needed more than one layer of fabric.

This is a bag from my friend Lois who doesn't have a blog, it's a Canadian postcard print - I would love to visit all the places in the pictures!  It's a good-sized bag, both ends fold in and are closed with studs; when the studs are open it holds a lot of shopping.  Or knitting.  Or fabric.......Lois and I had a great time at a quilt shop, you know.  I could have come home with much more fabric than I did........and I feel very lucky to have such generous friends.
 Last but definitely not least a small bag won on Bev's blog which contained some sewing goodies - spotted white fabric, thread in a very useful colour, a tape measure and a packet of emery nail files.  Rough fingernail edges can catch on fabric edges, so emery files are very handy.  The bag lining fabric is a black on white print of vintage sewing machines, and yes, the zipper on the bag is indeed purple.  Bev and I were hoping to get to meet while we were in Toronto, but sadly it was not able to happen.
Last week I mentioned to my doctor that I was having trouble with a very sore ankle which didn't want to work properly, probably because I hurt my right foot while in Canada - it's difficult to walk when every step hurts, which it did for several weeks, indeed the foot and ankle are still swollen a couple of months later - she suggested having an X-ray to see what happened in there, and guess what she told me today......my foot had indeed been broken.  The second little toe broke, and the rest of the foot was bruised and injured.  But being a tough Aussie I just continued walking on it.....walked round Butchart Gardens and goodness knows where else......I drew the line at climbing up Mount Doug in Victoria, B.C. even though the view was glorious, because that did hurt.

While at the doctor today we saw a sight that is still burned on my eyelids.  Picture, if you will, a somewhat-less-than-slender middle aged woman wearing a summer dress, floor length as are many of the current styles, the top being two triangles joined onto the waistband.....not all the sagging flesh was contained, if you get my meaning......front, back and sides.......it was not pretty.  Unfortunately the current hot weather has brought out the worst in some people's clothing taste.  While at home I do admit to wearing very casual clothing, but out in public - no.

The new pjs are progressing nicely considering that the broken foot is the pedal foot, so the sewing is being done in short bursts rather than long marathons.  Next project will be a kid's charity quilt, the blocks for which which have been sitting in my sewing room for over a year - then fabrics will be gathered for one of my Canadian patterns.  There are some batiks in my stash which are calling my name......

My own radio program is getting closer, there have been a couple of training sessions with more to come.  Once I get the hang of which button to press, and when, and some other details to remember, I might be ready.

"Dress for morning calls.
Morning calls may be made either in walking or carriage dress, provided the latter is justified by the presence of the carriage,  The dress should be silk; collar and cuffs of the finest lace; light gloves; a full dress bonnet and jewellery of gold, either dead, burnished or enamelled, or of cameo or coral.  Diamonds are not usually worn in daylight.  A dress of black or neutral tint, in which light colours are introduced only in small quantities, is the most appropriate for a morning call."

Well.....this morning's woman did wear (but only just) a dress of black and white, while small quantities of light colours were introduced by way of the tattoo on her back.  And it was morning, even though a visit to the doctor is not considered a social call.  However, as she wore no bonnet or gloves, or collar and cuffs, her dress probably would not be considered appropriate.

Enjoy your days!

12 comments:

  1. Jennifer I am so sorry that you broke your foot. Take it easy and keep that foot elevated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love that postcard fabric of Canada. I would love to sit with that and pick out all the places Karl and I have been to. I do see the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove. We spent a great sunny day there a few years ago. I think it's time to go back.
    I loved that Moda fabric line. So darn Canadian. I bought some of the leaf design and made a little sleeping bag for one of the teddy bears that live on the bed in the back bedroom
    I'm so sorry to hear of the devastating fires in Australia/Tasmania. We should be sending down our firebombers. They aren't doing much up here right now.
    We'll keep our fingers crossed its only buildings lost and that cooler weather is on its way....with lots and lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you might have to swear off Canada, Jennifer - you can't seem to go there without breaking bones!!!

    i hope the temps drop off for all of you in the Southern Hemisphere soon - too much of our World is going up in smoke and flames.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We’ve had a little relief from the heat this week thank goodness . Last week was positively vile. I feel for those in other states who have lost their homes. It’s devastating.

    Your poor foot !

    Sometimes I think people get dressed in the dark. Either that or they don’t have mirrors at home. I’ve seen some real shockers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bags and lovely reminders of your trip. Sorry you have such a sore foot and any wonder. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no -- another break while in Canada! I hope your foot feels a lot better soon and that you get some cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bags and I can't believe you have been walking on your broken foot!!! hope it gets fixed now... I had such a laugh at your dress description.. we had such lovely rain but it is hot again but I hope lots of places got wet.... it's past 4 so I guess I should go and get my diamonds out... hmmmm

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, ow! Hope your foot feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the bush fires stay right away from your area.Shame about the foot....I know how that hurts and restricts how and where one may walk.
    I hope you have an evacuation plan just in case? Meanwhile dress apropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer, you poor dear. I can't believe you did all you did with a broken foot. You are a tough lady!! Love the bags you made and the cute bag your friend sent your way. I hear you about how some ladies dress, like you I might not dress as well at home when it's hot, but I never go out like I dress around home, I don't care how hot it is. Certain things must be covered. Take care of yourself and stay cool and I hope the fires stay away from you!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, sorry to hear about your broken toe! I hope that it heals quickly and that it cools off for you. We've been hearing about your incredibly hot weather and it sounds awful for all concerned.
    Here, the sight one doesn't want to see is someone who is built like a barrel encased in Lycra. I mean, if you're a stick, you might look good in Lycra, but how many of us are built like that?? I could live without seeing Lycra stretched to the limit....
    Take care of yourself,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all your bags! Canada has not been good to you with a broken ankle, broken toe .... you did say you were planning another visit in a few years' time?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!