Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Squiiish........

........that will be me tomorrow morning.  Squish.  It's time for the dreaded mammogram.  Don't tell it saves lives etc etc, I know all that......I still find it a painful, humiliating and embarrassing experience.  However, over the past few days I have getting into the spirit of the test by slamming the freezer door on my boobs a few times each day and lying on our pebbled driveway these cold frosty mornings while Kevin drives the car back and forth a few times over my chest.

There is something really cringe-making about having to take off one's clothes and show one's bits in public, isn't there?  To me, that also includes medical procedures which requires baring parts of one's body usually covered by clothing.  Makes me come over all faint at the very thought.  When I was younger I wasn't so self-conscious about such matters, if it had to be done then it had to be done, but the body changes which have come about with age have also brought more reluctance to show said body to anyone, including medical people.  It's not a pretty sight, folks.

We need a nice picture to take our minds off such matters.
Taken in Bayfield, Ontario. last October........such a lovely little town!

The sewing project from the fabrics in the last post is coming along nicely in between uke practice, and sweeping the occasional floor, and cooking, and choir practices, and shopping, and volunteering, and presenting a radio program, and relaxing......but never mind, it will get done......what has been done so far is looking good.

Winter has returned this week, very cold frosty mornings and some fog in the valley below us.  Being out walking in frost is not for the faint-hearted but if I don't go because it's cold it becomes very easy to stop completely.  If I don't walk it's because I have an appointment which means keeping an eye on the clock......like tomorrow morning's test.  That means most days I am out and about, struggling home up the hill with the sun in my eyes, and breathing a sigh of relief when I walk inside and shut the door behind me.

We have started planning our next trip away in a few months, heading north to a small folk festival a few hours away then continuing to the coast and going to.......who knows where?  We don't!  We will make decisions when we get there, even though we don't yet know where "there" is.  Our house sitters are already booked, just need to buy our festival tickets.  My new uke will, of course, be coming along; our caravan is quite small but there is room for a tenor uke.  There is room for a guitar too.....always take my guitar to festivals, it wouldn't feel right to leave it behind.

"When a color is chosen which is favorable to the complexion, it is well to associate with it the tints which will harmonize by analogy, as to use contrasting colors would diminish its favorable effect.  When a color is used in dress, not suitable to the complexion, it should be associated with contrasting colors, as they have the power to neutralize its objectionable influence."  

Another thing about growing older is the changes in one's hair colour and skin tone, which in turn governs what colours one can wear  We don't think of these things when we're young and slender, do we?  But it doesn't matter how much my skin and hair change, I do not look good in pink.

Enjoy your days!

10 comments:

  1. I agree, mammograms are not very pleasant... enjoy the feeling once it is all over....
    Cold has arrived here with a vengeance... I guess it is still winter?????
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you're hilarious today!!! You're also writing so well about the process of aging which, while still in my 40's, has arrived.. I see it in the mirror and notice it in my body. Things aren't the same. I actually was reflecting on this only Monday so you really struck a cord here.

    Thank you for sharing what is true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree -- mammograms are very unpleasant!
    We're having a nice cool respite from the swelteringly hot and humid days. It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your take on it got a good laught

    ReplyDelete
  5. “However, over the past few days I have getting into the spirit of the test by slamming the freezer door on my boobs a few times each day and lying on our pebbled driveway these cold frosty mornings while Kevin drives the car back and forth a few times over my chest.” Seriously made me laugh so loud I woke Mr. P !

    Oh I feel your pain ( no pun intended) Hope its over quickly ...and with no mortifying long term consequences.

    Speaking from a former nurse perspective – we see so many bits and bobs they all blur into one so honestly they probably wont think anything of it. I do hope that gives you some measure of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the laugh! Mammograms are rather awful, but you're right, they do save lives. Sigh. Doesn't make taking your clothes off in front of strangers any easier though....
    Frost? Cold weather?? Oh, wow, that sounds divine to me.
    Enjoy your day,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my Jennifer, I made my apt for august. unlike you - I don't think I'll practice for it. I hate the mammo's so much, I wish I could skip it, but oh well I'll just hope that it goes quickly. Sounds like winter is upon you much like summer is upon us, it's sure been hot this year. I hear you on skin tone changes and colors, it's just not right with everything else we must endure about aging. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope by now you are in recovery mode and that black and blue are not featuring in your colour palette today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well now ... hopefully you have, by now, unsquished and changed back from Flat to Curvy ... it is mizzling this morning - we almost never get mist OR drizzle, so i actually enjoyed taking the trash out to the curb...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the chuckle this morning! Believe me, the medical staff have seen far, far, far worse. So, chin up and get'er done!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!