Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Wattle they think of next......

As well as being Father's Day (1st Sunday in September for Aussie dads) last Sunday, 1st September, was Wattle Day.  Our little wattle bush is still flowering well considering its bad start in life, and other species are in flower around town.

A bit of a difference since the photo on the last blog post!  It's a difficult plant to photograph in even the slightest breeze, those little golden fluffy balls do not stay still.
 Gorgeous wattle in the local botanic garden.
 A close up of some yellow fluffiness......I don't know how many species of wattle there are, but apparently there is wattle flowering somewhere in Australia every day of the year.
 Silly kitty Bianca......she loves to dash into that kitchen cupboard if she thinks we aren't paying attention when the door is open.  So far - so far! - nothing has been broken, despite the fact that it has glassware.
We have learned that the best defence is to ignore her, and she soon comes out with no fuss when she realises that no bribery is involved.

Nibbles have been made on the elephant, that is to say some fabrics have been cut.  As there are still many hundreds of pieces still to go it's not worth getting too excited yet, so we won't.  We'll save it for something amazing.......just what I do not yet know, but no doubt there will something.

A foretaste of summer this week - it is quite hot, and the wind is nasty.    A good day to stay inside and not breathe in the dust which is blowing around.  It's been years since I actually looked forward to summer's heat, and this year is no exception; looks like we will have another hot dry summer, just what we need in the continuing drought.

Oh my......if another chirpy young person bangs on our front door scaring the bejabbers out of Bianca and telling me I need to switch my energy plan I may just forget that I am a nice person, and whack said young twerp severely around the back of his head as I chase him down the front steps.  Judging from his English accent it seems to be a popular occupation for young folk travelling from other parts of the world.

"The love letter.
Of this it may only be said, that while it may be expressive of sincere esteem and affection, it should be of a dignified tone, and written in such a style, that if it should ever come under the eyes of others than the party to whom it was written, there may be found in it nothing of which the writer may be ashamed, either of silliness or of extravagant expression."

Indeed.

How long has it been since you received a love letter?  I don't know that I ever have ever in my life ever.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. Since you've got to take what you can get, I'll take "Mom, used the last of the coffee, can you get more, Love ya" as a love letter.
    The wattles look lovely. Enjoy spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wattle is quite pretty...does it grow invasively? We are finally getting some cooler temps from our hot humid summer ones...I can't wait for Autumn to actually be here....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wattle! I never realised there were so many varieties until we began to travel. There is nothing more stunning than a swathe of wattle in bloom! I have a DO NOT KNOCK sticker on my front door and they still knock....now I just lean over the verandah and point to it.....let them work it out lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the wattles are lovely.... my one in my garden has no flowers at all...maybe it is one that will flower at an unusual time. Silly hot here for this time of year and high fire alert... too early for that. so hot and dry your area...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look pretty. Love letters... not a lot, really!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!