Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2020

And now - it's autumn!

Something for which we are thankful.  It wasn't a great summer, although we have had worse.  If the world was normal and things were different we would be on our way south now, arriving in Canberra tomorrow......but it isn't, so we aren't.

As well as missing out on catching up with family and friends and missing out on a music festival, I am missing out on my annual re-stocking of my supply of home-made jams and pickles.  Kevin doesn't eat jam, pickles or relishes, so when we travel I take the opportunity to buy some.  Many towns have a craft shop selling produce made or grown by members, and I have had some very interesting (and yummy!) purchases from small towns.  My weekend breakfast is a slice of toasted fruit bread spread with jam and topped with ricotta; one of my current jams is a dark whisky marmalade bought at a farmer's market in Canberra last year - not the cheapest ever bought, but oh sooo good.

Another block is prepared for stitching - Ontario.
Reminds me of the song "Sittin' on the dock of the bay.....watchin' the sun go away......"  The next block is traced but not yet ironed onto fabric.  The goal is to prepare one block a week.....and then there will be all that stitching down.  Tedious won't be the word for that, will it?

Quilting has started for "Hanging on".  It will never win a prize, but then finished is better than perfect!

Are you all bored out of your brains?  I'm not yet, but I think I'm heading that way.  One outing a week to the supermarket, one to the fruit and veg store, and one if needed to the pharmacy for our drugs.  That is it.  That is the only contact we have with the outside world.  We are in the age bracket which is being told to stay home at all costs, but I just can't do that.  If I did I would be a mental wreck by the time this all ends.  Knowing that there are actually other people still in the world does wonders for one's spirits, and a conversation with a shop assistant can really make our day.

At least being in a country town is better than being in the Big Smoke, there aren't as many people around to avoid!

Daylight saving ended in the wee small hours this morning, and so did lovely dark mornings - for a while, at least.  I am not and never have been a morning person, I am not one of those folk who bounce out of bed to greet the day at the first crack of light......I'm more likely to shove a rag in the crack and go back to sleep.

"Shaking hands.
Among friends the shaking of the hand is the most genuine and cordial expression of good-will.  It is not necessary, though in certain cases it is not forbidden upon introduction; but when acquaintanceship has reached any degree of intimacy, it is perfectly proper."

Oh no - no shaking of the hand at present.  Distance and isolation is the order of the day.

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. I expect the custom of hand-shaking will be a thing of the past after this. I miss going out, also. Jamie and I do manage a walk around the neighbourhood daily...and never meet a soul. Your quilt block looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know why we are friends - like-minded women who hate mornings, quilt, redheads, lovers of Autumn. Yep, if we lived closer, I think we might be best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is the epitome of an eastern Ontario summer day. Canoes, Muskoka chairs, and a loon calling, that is my summer dream holiday. Thank you for the pleasant memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your block is looking great...and I love that song. Sorry about your trip. We are still too warm up here....not sure where Autumn is. I am definitely a night owl and was never a morning person, which killed me when I worked starting in the lab some mornings atm6 am...arrrgggh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the catch ups with friends too.... Home made jam from the markets is always so much nicer....another lovely block... no boredom but as I said i miss catching up with friends.... I am enjoying the cooler days... still over 25 but comfortable and cooler nights though we did have a spate of hot days and nights last week...
    Hugz
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm ... i may be the only one here who thinks that early morning is the very best part of the day ...i don't like evenings, though - i used to bid the evening shift cuz i didn't want to waste the best part of my days working for the Company...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!