We have noticed that there is less traffic on our suburban street than usual. It forms a semi-circle joined at both ends to a minor highway so doesn't get much through traffic, even though there are a few short streets leading off it and for whom the only access is our street. It's always been a quiet street, and has become even quieter than before. There is also very little air traffic over us, it's a rare thing to hear a plane!
How are you all coping with your house arrest? We make one, sometimes two, trips out during the week for hunting and gathering, and one to the pharmacy for a drug run if needed. It's enough to give us hope that other people are still alive out there, and if we are very lucky we even meet a friend to have a sociable chat.....at a suitable distance, of course. Apart from those trips, we stay home.
Sewing has happened. The next block, Quebec, has been stuck down.
Only two to go! Although it doesn't look like it, those fabrics were pressed first.
There has been a bit of a thing online about making house blocks lately. Many people seem to be quite taken by this one, which I quite like......but I wanted my houses to have a garden, which would make the blocks longer. Aha, I thought to myself, I wonder what EQ7 has in the way of house blocks? So I checked; there are several but I quite like this six inch square block called 'Little house', because it has a garden. So.....fabrics were chosen, a purple house with an orange roof, a blue spotted sky, yellow window and bright checked door, plus a beautifully manicured lawn. I can see many more of these in my future.....my Vintage Singer Featherweight (nigh on 70 years old) and I made it outside, in Birdland.
I did make a change to the sky; the original block provided templates to cut two pieces reversed but I thought again to myself, I reckon you could sew diagonally across a 2-1/2 in square of sky fabric for each corner and it would still look good - as well as being easier. It does, it was, and the roof pitch is now a different angle.
Meanwhile the knitting continues, the tumblers keep tumbling, the tree hanging is not much further along. When it comes to machine quilting I hesitate because I know my skills aren't very good, but then - if I never practice they never will be, will they. I would really like to get it done so will have to hoick up my big girl pants (which used to be much smaller......sigh) and Have A Go.
Meanwhile, we spend a lot of time online, not much time watching TV, and are having fun discovering online radio stations which play music that we like. I also managed to get an arrangement done for the uke group.
Yesterday I really pushed the boat out and made Anzac bikkies. Some people like theirs thick and chewy, I prefer thin and crispy - which these are, but they are also a bit crumbly. Because I have some I added 1/2 tspn of pumpkin pie spice, which doesn't hurt the flavour at all.....even though I am sure purists would shudder, but then they don't know what they are missing.
"Pastry should be eaten with a fork. Everything that can be cut without a knife should be eaten with the fork alone. Pudding may be eaten with a fork or spoon."
If you would like to try one of my crumbly Anzac bikkies with a fork alone, good luck to you......these are definitely finger food only.
Enjoy your days!
Well, I could not resist looking up ANZAC Bikkies....evidently they are akin to a coconut oatmeal cookie, albeit thin and crispy or thicker and chewy. I found a recipe for the on King Arthur Flour's site and I think I'll have a try at them. They sound wonderful and since they haven't any chocolate in them, Mr. Wonderful will like them!
ReplyDeleteI'm learning lots of things about Zoom as I attend classes and meetings. Today, I figured out how to connect to the Blue Tooth speakers.
ReplyDeleteOur neighbourhood has become so quiet, that any passing vehicle sets the dogs off.
You are making great progress on your projects. It is nice in the city with less traffic also. It will be a bit of a shock when the world unlocks x
ReplyDeleteWe also just go for the essentials... though Dave still goes to the office twice a week too. Great block and lovely idea for the houses... will be fun watching your neighbourhood grow...
ReplyDeleteHugz
We walk every day, and I'm doing a lot of quilt-making. So that's all very nice, but I'm missing the grandchildren horribly. Your projects look lovely, and very varied.
ReplyDelete