Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Shiver me timbers.......

......it's been a bit chilly.  So chilly that yesterday's temperature came within a foofteenth of breaking the record for the coldest day in May ever recorded here; eventually it creaked its way to 9.7 deg yesterday afternoon, while the coldest ever was 9.6 in the 1980s.  That of course means that, while the mercury may have reached 9.7 deg the 'feels like' was several degrees colder.  At least there was almost no wind - we were thankful for small mercies.

Needless to say, we stayed indoors.  Bianca spent much of her day asleep on her bed in front of the fire.

Houses have been built.
 Overcast days mean not-so-good conditions for photos, the palm tree roof is actually purple - not blue.

Here is the village so far:
 Just what I envisaged, bright houses all in a row.  Trees will also be made as spacers.  This isn't one of those "I must finish this as soon as possible" projects, it's more like a "just feel like making a house or two today" projects.

Another view of my pretty tiara, just because.  Lights on this time.
Every girl needs some sparkle-arkle in her life, yes?

All the leaves have been sewn down on the tree, now to quilt some markings on the trunk and branches.  More tumblers have been sewn together.  Stitches have been knitted.  Books have been read.  Not much else has been done.

Our world is gradually opening up.  While I can't see us going out on the town hitting the high (or low) spots when it's possible to do so it will be nice to order a coffee that I don't have to make for myself and sit in a cafe to drink it, with perhaps a treat as well, and watch the world go by.

Some of you have been making masks.  As we don't have to wear them, I have made none.  Even if we did, I wouldn't be making them.  My sewing room is a happy place, a place for having fun, and I don't want to bring the plague into it.

"Dress of hostess at dinner party.
The dress of a hostess at a dinner party should be rich in material, but subdued in tone, so as not to eclipse any of her guests.  A young hostess should wear a dress of rich silk, black or dark in color, with collar and cuffs of fine lace, and if the dinner be by daylight, plain jewellery, but by gaslight, diamonds."

So......I can wear my tiara by gaslight, it seems.......even if those diamonds aren't real.

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. Sweet little houses. It will be a sweet quilt someday. I am picturing you at your machine, all aglow from the sparkle of your tiara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How boring! I think the guests should wear subdued colours to allow the hostess to shine. I hope you are wearing your tiara to dinner, these days.
    That is quite a subdivision your building, with all those houses.
    I totally understand your position on masks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those houses are adorable! I thnk putting a tree spaced in there periodically will make it even more adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the cheerful houses... I'm with you about the masks...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house quilt will be nice and cheerful! Weather here has finally warmed up in our neck of the woods. A/c was actually turned on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those cheerful houses! We have been a tad chilly (for us) too! But nice sunshine warms the day up. I haven't made any masks either. I wonder whether I shall want to get back to 'normal' when we are permitted x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!