Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2020

We're not locked in so tightly now

However I suspect the slight easing of restrictions won't make difference to us, we will still live a fairly circumspect life for a while yet.

Another little house is finished.
More are cut out, ready to be sewn.  This is going to be a very cheerful neighbourhood!

Finally bit the bullet and have started stitching down oak leaves.  The Cunning Plan was to - carefully - stitch around all those wiggly edges (erk) then stitch the veins, but some of the leaves weren't sticking down very well so I stitched the veins on one leaf before getting into the wiggly stuff.  Well, that is it.  Done.  There will be no more stitching on this leaf.  It's not going anywhere; the wind can blow all it likes but this leaf is staying on its branch.
The veins on several other leaves have been stitched since then and there are only a few more to go.  That will be enough to anchor them.

Did you know I own a tiara?
Way back when the internet was much younger than it is now I joined an online quilting group for Aussies and Kiwis.  The suggestion was made to have a get-together for a weekend, a few people put up their hands to organise it, and it happened.  It was such a success that the following year a group in another city put up their hands......and it has continued to this day, in a different city each time.  I have only been to one of those weekend retreats when it was held in the Big Smoke where we lived, but it was fun.  This year it had to be cancelled because of the current plague, but it still happened this weekend online - and what a hoot it has been.  In earlier years a few women decided to add a fun touch to the Saturday night dinner and wore tiaras; they ranged from a child's sparkly plastic tiara to bridal headwear and everything in between.  I bought this 15 years ago at a street market in a small town, it cost me all of $20......the woman from whom I bought it told me "that was my wedding tiara over 40 years ago.......it came all the way from Sydney, you know!"  These days that's less than a four hour trip, but back then it would have taken most of the day.

Kevin doesn't mind the odd drop or two of whisky from time to time, and when I saw the bag it seemed Just The Thing to store my tiara.  The pic was taken with lights off so you can see the design much better, it's not easy to photograph something so shiny and gleaming.

We all need some sparkly fun in our lives, don't we?  Mine is a tiara to wear to a quilting dinner, and it is also worn each year on the last night of the Easter folk festival.

"The full dinner dress.
The full dinner dress for guests admits of great splendor.  It may be of any thick texture of silk or velvet for winter, or light rich goods for summer, and should be long and sweeping.  Every trifle in a lady's costume should be, as far as she can afford it, faultless.  The fan should be perfect in its way, and the gloves should be quite fresh.  Diamonds are used in brooches, pendants, ear-rings and bracelets.  If artificial flowers are worn in the hair, they should be of the choicest description.  All the light neutral tints, and black, dark blue, purple, dark green, garnet, brown and fawn are suited for dinner wear."

There you have it.  I wonder if a rhinestone tiara would be acceptable?

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. that is a lovely leaf!!! and your tiara sparkles even in the dark - pretty doggone cool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tiara bag, so very appropriate. When I was a little girl, way,way back, Crown Royal bags were highly coveted by little girls, because they were made of velveteen. We used them as handbags for our dress up, stored our doll clothes, I even used one as a project bag. In my neighbourhood, the whiskey was expensive and so the bags were rare. Now I carry my earbuds in one when I fly.
    When I first saw your little house, I thought it was a mushroom house. Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever known anyone who owned a tiara - now I do! I'll bet it sparkles so bright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Tiara! Very cute happy house block too. I am not ready to venture to far yet apart from hunting and gathering necessities and walking in the Bush x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed at your tiara in the Crown Royal bag - so "you"! Your house reminds me of a mushroom, perhaps a tiny abode in a fairy ring. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel would be quite envious of your tiara .... she is in the Princess Elsa time right now. Your oak leaf will give a 3D look to your hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we will also still not go out more than necessary... not been too much of a hardship. love the tiara.... we should all have one put aside for those fun times.... well done with a start on all that sewing of leaves etc.. it's going to look great with the added texture...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!