Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2020

It's a big world out there

I didn't realise it was so huge!  Best of all, I can sew - or read, or knit, or do just about anything - without having to stop for frequent breaks because of muscle tiredness around my eyes.  The deterioration was probably such a gradual process for several years that I hadn't realised how bad it had become, so when the surgeon muttered words like "take out at least seven to eight millimetres" which is way over a quarter of an inch......all I could think of was "ohmygawd", but every millimetre has been worth it.  Thankfully the bruises are finally fading now and stitches are becoming less noticeable.

Another house was made, this time twice as big.
It's a bit on the lairy side, isn't it?  For the non-Aussies "lairy" is a word meaning flashy or showy; it is first documented in print in 1906 but sadly isn't heard as much these days, although was still common when I was growing up.  The world needs more lairy houses, doesn't it?

Because our quilt group didn't meet for several months I missed out on my turns for block of the month, so when Madame Presidente asked if I would do one for early October I thought I should say yes.  I did think of handing out the instructions for my little houses but, because some members seem to have an aversion to anything with small pieces, the house size was doubled to 12 inches.  These blocks are often used to make kids' quilts for charity, so bright houses will be fine.  That pink/purple/gold/black stripe is one of my "whatever was I thinking when I bought this?" fabrics but it makes a cheerful house, while the yellow door is nearly the last of that fabric; I shall miss it.

Spring has been springing ever higher now.  Wattle Day came and went with nary a morsel of gold on our little bush, but there has still been plenty of golden gorgeousness around town.

Speaking of lairy houses, isn't it about time that grey has had its day?  It has been popular, inside and out, for some time now.  While we're making changes, whose bright idea was it to paint ceilings and/or walls black, and add dark floors?  Dark kitchens too - dark cupboard doors with black (granite, of course) bench tops suck the light out of a room.  I'm not a fan of white on white kitchens - too cold and clinical for me - but surely there is a happy medium which is not grey.

Those folk who hand over the keys to a renovator and give them carte blanche to do what they like are very trusting, aren't they? I would be saying no black, no grey, absolutely no pink whatsoever, no red, purple or shades thereof, no white, grey or black kitchen, no granite or marble at all.......it still leaves green, and blue, and yellow, and orange, and cream, which is warmer than white.

We have also noticed tables disappearing in some houses, replaced by a high island at which one perches on a stool.  Not for me; I like to sit on a proper chair at a proper table, thank you, and enjoy my meal.

While looking at accommodation options online before our last trip to Canada we saw some apartments which had no table, just the aforementioned bench with stools - which is why the apartment we rented had a table and chairs by a window, with a view over a sometimes busy but always interesting street.

"Dinner a la Russe.
The latest and most satisfactory plan for serving dinners is the dinner a la Russe (the Russian style) - all the food being placed upon a side table, and servants do the carving and waiting.  This style gives an opportunity for more profuse ornamentation of the table, which, as the meal progresses, does not become encumbered with partially empty dishes and platters."

That sounds very civilised to me, but due to the lack of servants in this household is unlikely to happen.

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. Love your "big house"! I think your multi stripe is perfect for that window. Also love lairy.....I remember it being used in regards to some blokes shirts lol!
    When we repainted with chosen paint....discovered when we got home it was the exact same colour lol! Its pale, pale mint green and I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a round table in our kitchen. In a pinch, we can get right people around it for coffee. Nine if one is in the high chair. And everyone can see the others. Just try that with an island and "perches".
    The other one that makes us laugh is "open concept". Apparently. It has fallen out of favour during these stay at home times. There is such a thing as too much togetherness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that word, Lairy.....might need to incorporate it into a sentence soon.....And, Russian style sounds a lot like what we call Buffet style...eveything put out on another surface, leaving the table free of foodstuffs in the middle. While I like using grey to soften a room (walls or floor coverings), I don't abide by the use of black on floors or ceilings and certainly not in a kitchen as a main color choice. I do love a white kitchen with accents of yellow or blue or green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Russian Style without the servants is just a buffet. I looked up Wattle Day. In Canada, the Cancer Society used to sell daffodils in March as a fund raiser. Now they just have plastic daffodil pins sort of like poppies. I suppose it is a lot less work and they keep from year to year but It isn’t the same as fresh flowers. I love the colourful house. Lately have been trying to not overthink how to combine colours and have been pleasantly surprised with the results. (Can you hear me now?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that your eyes have improved so much; it must be a huge relief. Your big mansion will really shine when surrounded by the smaller houses you have been making.
    I agree about the use of grey...give me warm, bright cheery colours any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your lairy house... definitely no grey in that one's kitchen! haha...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!