....this quilt will have its borders pinned ready for quilting.
It seems that every time I have a block of time to get it done, something intervenes....it is so frustrating....time had been reserved yesterday but we went shopping for a dishwasher. By the time we returned home, had a cuppa, fiddle-faddled around for a bit, there wasn't enough of the day left for something I prefer to do in natural light.Oh well. The coming week doesn't look too hectic....fingers crossed....
Just because I love autumn pictures:
Taken on a cool damp day outside our B&B in Goderich, a small town in Ontario. If I ever moved to Canada (not much chance of that; I don't think I would survive the first winter) I would live in Goderich, it's a very pretty town.
Taken on a cool damp day outside our B&B in Goderich, a small town in Ontario. If I ever moved to Canada (not much chance of that; I don't think I would survive the first winter) I would live in Goderich, it's a very pretty town.
How have you all been this week? It's still winter here, not much has changed, life for these two Olde Phartes drifts along.
A few of us from the ukulele group provided some entertainment on Friday for a Refugee Week function, which was interesting; it makes you realise how lucky we are to live in a safe country free from conflict. When I was a child we heard about 'displaced persons' as European refugees were called after World War II. Many came to Australia in search of peace; most found it, although life here in what was still considered a colonial outpost would have been so different from the life they were used to.
When I think about the bland boring food we grew up with - lamb chops served with mashed potato and peas, every week - I am so pleased times have moved on, driven by people who have settled here from other countries. My mother didn't like cooking, it was a chore she did from necessity, and as a result she was an unimaginative cook. A pinch of curry powder in the savoury beef mince - always boiled, never browned in oil - was the most adventurous dish she served.
I remember when convenience foods started appearing in shops, and my mother seized the opportunity with both hands. Packet cake mixes were her favourite, she made two double-sized cakes a week because my father took lunch from home. 'Smoko' (morning tea break) was not considered complete without a large piece of cake for those doing manual labour - including bricklaying, my father's occupation. Many older Ozzies still call the morning tea break 'smoko' even though a much smaller number of people now smoke than used to, and many of us (myself included) have never ever not once lit up even one surreptitious puff. Not ever.

Something else which pleased her was the advent of synthetic fabrics, fabrics which advertised themselves as 'wash and wear', no ironing needed. However Ozzie summers can be fearsomely hot, and the last fabric you want to swathe yourself in is a non-breathable fabric; we have gone back to realising that cotton and linen fabrics are more comfortable. If ironing bugs you, then don't do it - who is going to care if you are wearing wrinkled clothing? Not me....
Continuing on with General Rules for Balls:
"When dancing a round dance, a gentleman should never hold a lady's hand behind him, or on his hip, or high in the air, moving her arm as though it were a pump handle, as seen in some of our western cities, but should hold it gracefully by his side."
Yes indeed, gentlemen. I have danced with blokes whose dancing style is....shall we say.....creative.
Enjoy your days!


Many greetings to you and much success and joy in completing your quilt... looks beautiful - already.
ReplyDeleteToday is Sunday and it's summer and I like to cook... light lunch today in the summer heat - potatoes, cauliflower and Dutch sauce (homemade of course - not out of the box :-))))
Yes, I like to cook.
p.s. Today there were photos of my daughter... dance class prom ballroom and latin dances... so beautiful ;-)))))
Have a fantastic sunday.
hug
I saw an interviews on Canada Day with a young couple who arrived in Canada from Rwanda. They now live in Nunavik and became Canadian citizens on Canada Day. I wonder what they thought of their first winter.
ReplyDeletemy clothes and i have an ongoing wrinkle competition - i think that i may be winning (or losing?) these past few years ... i'm okay with pressing quilt blocks, so i do know how to turn on the iron
ReplyDeleteyour canada quilt is already awesome - quilting will be the icing on the cake!!!
the quilt is waiting for that time - frustrating when you want to do something and need to fiddle faddle around with other stuff. I find I am very uncomfortable in synthetics and comfortable in wrinkly clothes - more so as I age..
ReplyDeleteHugz
Soon, soon, your Canada quilt will be done! You definitely would have a hard time living here in winter. Goderich is in the snow belt area of Ontario and they get a lot of streamers off the Great Lakes and lots of snow.
ReplyDelete