Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Not quite Road to St Louis

This is a quilt made by a colleague and me a few years ago, for another colleague who was about to go on maternity leave. It's based on the Road to St Louis design that I have been blogging about, but instead of pieced blocks we used squares of kids' prints, and alternated them with hourglass blocks. The blue/lime/turquoise striped fabric in the border gave us the idea for the colour scheme. It's backed with a cute frog print. The original design used 6in blocks so I wrote the instructions for this using 4in blocks. (did a terrific job if I do say so myself) I quilted it using a blue variegated Aurifil thread. We bought the border fabrics, and the fabric for the hourglass blocks; the kids' prints came from our stashes - we had one duplicate! We specially included a couple of cat prints as the recipient isn't a cat person and we both are....she took it in good spirit.

Many thanks for the encouraging comments about having a retired husband! It will be a new step in life for both of us, no doubt we will get on each other's nerves from time to time but we wouldn't be human if we didn't. Kevin is playing in a lawn bowls tournament this morning and I am enjoying peaceful music.

Last night we had a daddy of a storm - thunder, lightning, and very heavy rain; we had the TV volume up to 21 and it normally never goes over 12. It had stopped by about 8.30-9.00pm so the party around the corner continued, from the sounds of it they are still going and it's now midday. Must have more stamina than I do. Perhaps I should gently point out that their music, like mine, has a volume switch that turns to the left as well as to the right?

Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your previous and current post. many happy congrats on your husband's retirement. I think you'll both do just fine in sharing a day to day as from your posts alone, you've a sense of humor, interests that bring sanity to life and spirit!

    Love the quilt, especially that you used kids' prints, perfect for an expectant mother.

    From here to there...serenity and smiles!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!