Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

WOW Day already!

Tammy asked to see the Road to St Louis quilt I am working on, so here are a couple of pics. I could have sworn I was loading three pictures but only two came up...never mind. As you can see it is good for using up little scraps and is made of two alternate blocks; my blocks are 6in finished. The fabrics in the hourglass blocks are a soft tone-on-tone green and a darker grey-green batik printed with jade green fish. When the fabric is cut up the fish lose their fishy shape and just become swirls and squiggles - interesting! The quilting thread I am using is a pretty sea-green variegated Aurifil thread which blends beautifully with all the fabrics. There is a 1in red border (you can just see it at the top of the picture), then a 2in border of the batik, then a 3in border of the pale green. I have quilted in the ditch on both sides of the red border and will quilt a flowing leafy design in the green borders; the binding will be the same red as the inner border.
This wombat is a painting that Kevin bought for me at the Umina folk festival a few years ago, a local lady was selling some of her pictures. It's probably copied from a photograph as there are no wombats in Umina, it's a beach town. I really like it although it looks a bit incomplete without a frame, but one of these days I will have it done.

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jennifer, it is truly goregous. I love the colors you used. I wish we lived closer - then I could bake the cake and bring my pretty plate and you could serve the tea with your teapot and we could talk quilts. What a wonderful afternoon we could have. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, indeed! The quilt is wonderful...a fabulous use of scraps in intricate yet soft patterns. I sit in awe of fantastically talented quilters, like yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this quilt! Scrappy is my favourite, but what a lovely colour you have for the broken dishes blocks. Your quilting is excellent. Is it all on your domestic machine?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!