Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Saturday Quilt Airing

Once again Blogger has fooled me and uploaded the pics in reverse order.....last week they were going on in the right order. I give up.

Anyway.....yesterday we went for a drive to Nundle for the quilt airing at The Cottage On The Hill. The quilts were hanging along the fence as we drove in, and also on the fence around the house. It's a beautiful setting! I love the design of this scrap quilt and could possibly even see one in my future, it looks like a great stashbuster idea.
A young pup doing his best to make sure the wind didn't blow this little quilt away. It worked. The quilt stayed on the line. The pup stayed on the quilt too.
It was windy and the weather kept threatening to close in....we had a few rain spots, but nothing much. However shortly after we left, while having a very nice lunch at the local pub (which was celebrating its 150th birthday weekend) the rain came down in buckets. You can see the shop in the background.
Isn't the countryside beautiful? It wasn't windy all the time, I did manage to get some pics when the quilts weren't blowing. We also indulged in a yummy Devonshire tea, scones with jam and cream - Kevin enjoyed his, and he doesn't eat jam or cream often - went into the shop, but it was very busy. However it's only about 40 minutes drive from here so I shall go again.

Had a very lazy day today, daylight saving started last night and we woke up late. It was a cloudy and rainy day so was a good day to do not much at all.......managed to trim some little pinwheel blocks for this quilt, by gosh trimming little 2-3/4in blocks is tedious......but I have quite a few done now, so will keep at it. I really would like to make that quilt. Didn't even look at the fabrics for the back of the maritime quilt. Might do that tomorrow.

Speaking of daylight saving, I reckon six months is too long. I didn't mind when it was four months - from the beginning of November to the end of February - but gradually "they" have increased the time so now it's half the year. There have been many studies showing the effectiveness, or not, of daylight saving over the years and apparently it's not as good for us as some people make it out to be. We change most clocks except the oven clock (because one needs a degrees in astrophysics to work out how to do so, the previous owner left no manuals or instructions for anything) and my little sewing room clock, because I can't be bothered.

The turkey drumsticks in plum sauce were very nice, we have had two meals from it so far and there is still enough left for one more. And last week I made some pumpkin cupcakes from this recipe - they are all eaten now - we liked them better than the pumpkin muffins I made a while ago. The oven might be difficult to set the clock and almost impossible to set the timer, but it bakes well.

"Sunday Hospitalities.
In this country it is not expected that persons will call after informal hospitalities extended on Sunday. All gatherings on that day ought to be informal. No dinner parties are given on Sunday, or at least, they are not considered as good form in good society."

So there you have it. Don't expect an invitation from me for a Sunday dinner party, because it will not be forthcoming.

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful showing of quilts. Our shows are always indoors and it is such a shame. I like that recipe for pumpkin cupcakes. I should try them for next week-end instead of the usual cake which is way too much for Karl and I.
    I'm having trouble posting photos too. Wish they had left things alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely spot and a great way to show quilts - I knew it was coming up but a bit far for a day trip just at the moment - lovely to see the pics though - did you hang a quilt there?
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about eye candy.

    I'm doing a windmill quilt too at the moment..but my blocks arent that small (and I'm still having trouble getting points to ultimately match up...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great scrap quilt that top one is!! It looks like a fun one to stitch too. :-)

    What a fabulous way to showcase some quilts -- beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are delightful and your style of writing very engaging...you are one lovely lady...blessings..you know how much I love anything in the breeze..the pup was perfect..
    blessings msamm

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to display quilts...on a clothesline! I hate the length of our daylight savings time also. It is the same as yours only the other months....actually I think it is longer because it started the middle of March and goes until the first weekend in Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a good question for ya....once one of my bigger quilts are done, what washing or care instructions should I pass along to the recipiant?

    I can honestly say Ive never washed a real quilt before, and I want them to know how to make it last.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!