......I managed to hook up my bra behind my back correctly! Yay for me!
Instead of asking Kevin to do it, or fastening the hooks in front, turning it round and wriggling my arms in (which is not all that easy, either) I can now dress myself correctly - it was almost 14 weeks to the day of the break, so you can see why I am celebrating! My hand continues to improve, slowly getting stronger and more flexible, for which I am thankful.
Stitching has continued on the second side border of Autumn Rhapsody; it, too, will soon be done, and the third side can be commenced. My brain has been thinking thoughts of how best to ensure that the borders are attached to the correct sides - yes, it will matter for the design, they're not identical - and this is what I came up with; a 2-1/2 inch square was cut in half and each half pinned (using safety pins, rather than straight pins which can slide out of place) to the quilt top and the border. When the time comes to attach the border those fabrics will be matched, and all will be hunky dory.....and yes, before you ask, four different fabrics were used to avoid confusion, one for each side.
Speaking of hunky dory, do you know the origin of that phrase? No one seems to be certain - but all sources agree that it first appeared in print in the mid-1860s, so it was known then.
Not bad, considering it was at death's door as a very young plant. I can't remember its name as the card which came with the plant on purchase has been put in a Very Safe Place, probably never to be seen again.
Words have been read, hair has nearly been torn out in frustration over a computer mystery, but I have high hopes it will eventually be solved. Machine and hand stitching has happened. Songs have been sung; last night the choir held its Christmas in July party, and great fun it was too. The usual hunting and gathering to keep starvation at bay, trips to the computer problem solving place, and that's been our week.
The uke will come out for a plink this week to see how my hand copes, as the U3A ukulele group resumes on Thursday. It's official, I am now the (slightly reluctant) leader. Most of the players are fine but there is one woman....there's always one person, isn't there.....who is challenging. If she is so musically fabulous and considers that she knows so much more than I do (which wouldn't be hard) she is welcome to be leader. I wouldn't care in the slightest. We'll see how this term progresses.
Thoughts are being thought about whether we should keep our little caravan, or if it's time to let it go to another owner who will enjoy it as much as we have. Kevin found it difficult without my help on our return trip home, and we are now 26 years older and 26 years less able than when we first started travelling with it. It has just been re-registered for another year, which gives us several months to ponder on whether we will or whether we won't. I would like to finish the trip that was cut short by my unfortunate fall, but whether we do.....well, who knows.
This week has been milder, some days were almost warm! Over the past couple of days, though, we have had good rain, which that means our mild weather has run out for a while. The next few nights are forecast to be somewhat chilly, downright cold in fact, minus several degrees below zero.
Continuing on with Conduct at charity fairs:
"Be guilty of no loud talking or laughing, and by all means avoid conspicuous flirting in so public a place."
Oh, yes. No PDAs at the charity fair, nothing, in fact, which draws attention - unwelcome or not. The true lady and/or gentleman of those times was not one of the "look at me" current generation, they knew how to be discreet.
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
ah, yes - the old bra hook and eye challenge - i've never mastered the scoop in and hook back method - but the front hook and swish around to the back method stopped working for me when my belly grew too big to allow any swishing ... it's a good thing that Melissa is of the female persuasion and on hand to hook me up ... just sayin'
ReplyDeletethank you for the link, by the way - it totally makes sense that Mother Earth prefers coniferous trees in deserts
Dear Jennifer, I congratulate you on your further improved mobility... yes, so good.
ReplyDeleteYour side border looks wonderful.
I sent my first two tops to be quilted at short notice. I found out that I can't quilt large tops myself with my sewing machine without a table... these are my first quilts, apart from the small blankets and pillow that I quilted on my machine... Because there is a long wait, it will be a while before I can present it on the blog. I am very excited and happy.
I have a new top (my third) in the works right now. It's supposed to be a gift and that's why I won't show it until much later.
It's so much fun - sewing. Right, Jennifer? I wish you continued great progress with your arm. Let Viola hug you.
p.s. We have just bought a car with a sleeping option :-))) i.e. let's start with that...
Let's see if we like it.
Yes, I understand the celebration. LOL
ReplyDeleteHunky Dory are words my mom loves to use together.
ReplyDeleteLook at you go, progressing with your arm/hands as well as your quilt. Keep on keeping on.
Congratulations on this week's big achievements. I have been in the bra situation. It is rather humbling to have to ask for help.
ReplyDeleteoh well done on reaching the bra milestone!!! haha... the little things we take for granted.... good way to keep your colours on track...
ReplyDeleteHugz
Yay for this milestone. Yes there is always one. It seems to be a rule lol! A friend once said...if you don't know it is then you could be it haha! I feel for you deciding about your little holiday home on wheels. I miss travelling so much and admit to being very envious of those who are. We have lovely sunshine today but the nights are decidedly chilly for this sun lizard xx
ReplyDelete