Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Happy Birthday to Robert Burns

Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796) - a poet who put words together in a wonderful way. How could anyone read this - or sing it - and remain unmoved?

Ae Fond Kiss
      E fond kiss, and then we sever;
      Ae farewell, alas, for ever!
      Deep in heart-wrung tears I'll pledge thee,
      Warring sighs and groans I'll wage thee!
      Who shall say that Fortune grieves him
      While the star of hope she leaves him?
      Me, nae cheerfu' twinkle lights me,
      Dark despair around benights me.
      I'll ne'er blame my partial fancy;
      Naething could resist my Nancy;
      But to see her was to love her,
      Love but her, and love for ever.
      Had we never loved sae kindly,
      Had we never loved sae blindly,
      Never met--or never parted,
      We had ne'er been broken-hearted.
      Fare thee weel, thou first and fairest!
      Fare thee weel, thou best and dearest!
      Thine be ilka joy and treasure,
      Peace, enjoyment, love, and pleasure!
      Ae fond kiss, and then we sever!
      Ae farewell, alas, for ever!
      Deep in heart-wrung tears I'll pledge thee,
      Warring sighs and groans I'll wage thee!

As well as beautiful poems like this one, and "A Red Red Rose", and "A Man's A Man For A' That"........Robbie Burns had a bawdy side, a poem which probably scandalised folk at the time was "Nine Inch Will Please A Lady".

But I won't sing that one for you.

Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. Gosh I enjoy poetry and this one has a nice beat, rhythm to it. I don't know... I think I'd like to SOMEONE to sing "Nine Inch Will Please A Lady"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chuckled over the last line and I can bet that he brought the house down with that poem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poetry! LOL'd over your last comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like poetry, but not Burns particularly.
    Glad the hand is improving so well.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!