We had a good break and here we are back home again. The central west of New South Wales is a lovely place. We had a fun time at the festival and heard some great music, some from folks we have heard before and some from folks who were new to us. We managed to stay up long enough to see the new year in, but didn't last long after that. In all the years we have attended this festival we have had the occasional sprinkle of rain, but last weekend certainly made up for that. We had rather a lot of rain, in fact the grass must have grown by at least three inches in the nearly five days we spent on the hill overlooking a beautiful view of the valley.
And the wombat collection has grown by two.......there is a shop selling various trinkets and things and they had two wombats for sale...... Gulgong had a street carnival and dance for New Year's Eve, and in the car park outside one of the pubs was a strange looking contraption that, if one was so minded, one could pay good money to ride on and be thrown off. It wasn't a mechanical bull, it was a mechanical wombat - has to be the strangest thing I have ever seen - I took a photo but it hasn't yet been uploaded to the computer. Unfortunately on the way home we saw a wombat, a real one this time, by the side of the road; he/she hadn't made the crossing safely. But we could see (by the way it was lying on its back with its feet in the air) that it had been checked to see if it was a female with a baby in the pouch, and if there was a baby it would be taken out and hand-reared until it would be old enough to be released back into the bush. Baby wombats are really cute. Ugly, but cute.
Although I couldn't play guitar I attended a workshop run by a guitar maker, he makes gorgeous instruments....one of my guitars was fixed at his workshop a few years ago. And I sang a lot. So it was a good festival.
The locals in Gulgong are really nice people, they look at you when they pass you in the street and say g'day, unlike people in Sydney. We're looking forward to moving. One shop assistant even rang another shop to ask them to tell us (because we had gone looking) she had found the torch we wanted to buy, after she hadn't been able to find it. Can't see a shop here doing that......I know small towns can have problems too, but they still have a sense of community spirit which has disappeared in large places like Sydney.
My hand is slowly getting more use back although it is still swollen, I can't get my wedding ring back on yet. The nice young physio bloke told me that bone injuries can stay swollen for quite a long time. I don't yet have a grip so am still not driving the car, as I would probably a menace on the road if I can't quite hold the steering wheel. But never mind, this too shall pass.
"The Wedding Ring.
All churches at present use the ring, and vary the sentiment of its adoption to suit the customs and ideas of their own rites. A jewelled ring has been for many years the sign and symbol of betrothal, but at present a plain gold circlet, with the date of the engagement inscribed within, is generally preferred. The wedding ring, a plain hoop of gold, is used at the church. A jewelled ring is placed upon her hand by the groom on the way home from the church, or as soon after the service as is convenient. It stands guard over its precious fellow, and is a confirmation of the first promise."
Have a lovely week, may your stitches be even and your points not be too far out of whack.
Jennifer
I didn't realize wombat's carried their babies in pouches - like kangeroos.
ReplyDeleteI loved hearing about you trip - sounds like a wonderful place to visit - and even live! I prefer smaller town to big city!!!
Glad to hear the hand is getting better!!!
So glad to hear about your wonderful trip. Something special about small towns and communities, the big cities just can't compare. I've lived in Kennewick all my life and it's grown so much that it makes me sad. I didn't mind driving to the big city to shop and come home to peace and quiet. That said we're not so big we have traffic issues and such yet so I'm grateful for that. I didn't know a wombat carried her young in a pouch. Thank you for telling that, so sad the little guy didn't make it. I always feel bad when I see an animal on the side of the road, i tend to be a big old softie about them. Jennifer, thank you so much for your wonderful friendship this past year, I have so enjoyed getting to know you and reading your blog and I look forward to continuing that in 2010. Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteWell you are back! I look forward to the new babies being photographed and posted here. I also didn't know about the pouch thing for wombats...so are they related to the roos?
ReplyDeleteWe live in Whitby as you know and I remember driving from Pickering a whole 20 miles to this small town and thinking how quaint it was.
Well not anymore...it's huge, but the worst part is the destroyed prime farmland of Ontario. I am also living on such land in my little house now...but still where will the food come from in the future...don't you wonder?
Even with two hands at the best of times, I must concentrate on the road...I'm getting older and the driving conditions here right now are awful..
I'd heard of wombats but, living in the US, have not seen one. My, aren't they rolypoly? But kinda cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Jennifer...I followed you back to your own blog...quite interesting. I've signed up to follow you as well. happy 2010!
ReplyDelete