Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Clinging WOW

Well, what do you know.....blogger uploaded these pics in order, not in reverse order as it usually does.......that's too much for my little brain to take in. Taken a couple of weeks ago at sunset with storm clouds rolling in, looking across the valley from our front verandah - the little light on the left horizon was the last of the sun's rays bouncing off a structure that may have been a silo. We get some wonderful views from our verandah.
Today's little wombat has feet that hang on so he is trying to climb my sewing desk lamp, nice person that I am I tilted it down to make it easier for him. My sewing room needs a few wombat friends, yes?

I am not a happy little vegemite today. Yesterday I went to a doctor about something that had me slightly concerned, and what a waste of time that was. I don't think we were on the same page, in fact I don't think we were even reading from the same book when it came to communicating. I don't know where he learnt his English but it certainly wasn't at the school I attended. Anyway. So this morning I dutifully trotted along for a blood test (having fasted from last night as required, and starving without my breakfast) only to be also told that the request form also included an ecg which required my stripping to the waist. Never again. I was also supposed to have a chest x-ray but I cancelled it because it also meant stripping. I value my personal space, and my privacy, and my dignity, and don't like having them invaded or trampled on. When I rang the specialist's office this afternoon as requested, the receptionist started to say "he wants you to have a stress test....." - "no I will not", says I, "I will not have any test which requires getting undressed". The nice receptionist said the message would be passed on. I don't want to hear platitudes such as "leaving one's modesty behind at the door of the doctor's room" because I don't feel that way, I cringe the whole time. My husband thinks I am being precious, but it's different for men; a man does not feel the same as a woman does about stripping in front of strangers while they attach sticky things to her personal bits. I hate it. I will not do it.

We have a new computer! And I can play with EQ7! Just need to negotiate our way round Windows 7.....so far, so good.......working out how to do the monthly fabric downloads because I couldn't get them at all with the old computer.

Last week my name was drawn to be the lucky person to have friendship blocks made by the members of the Thursday quilt group. Much as I would have liked to I didn't choose "Coronation" because the fact that a 12in block has 58 pieces (although it's not difficult at all to make, I have done so) was enough to give some people conniptions, so I played safe and chose "Jacob's Ladder" instead, to be made 9in finished in different green fabrics on a plain cream background. I have always liked two colour quilts, and have I ever mentioned that I really really like green? One day I will make myself a Coronation quilt, it makes an interesting design when several blocks are set together without sashing as more stars form where the corners meet.

We are seeing and hearing birds which are familiar and some which are not - although it's from Canberra, this site has several of the birds we see and hear each day. Several of the pages have the bird calls as well as pics and information about the birds, so if you would like to have some of the sights and sounds of Australia on your computer feel free to click away! The noisy friar bird is a bird we had never heard until we moved here.

"The importance of trifles.
Some people are wont to depreciate those kind and tender qualities as trifles; but trifles, it must be remembered, make up the aggregate of human life. The petty incivilities, slight rudenesses and neglects of which men are guilty, without thought, or from lack of foresight or sympathy, are often remembered, while the great acts performed by the same person are often forgotten. There is no society where smiles, pleasant looks and animal spirits are not welcomed and deemed of more importance than sallies of wit, or refinements of understanding. The little incivilities which form the small change of life may appear separately of little moment, but like the spare pennies which amount to such large fortunes in a lifetime they owe their importance to repetition and accumulation."


Well said, the folk of 1885 knew a thing or two about human nature didn't they? Now I am going to ponder deeply on the outer border for my challenge quilt, I did take a pic but it was so bad I deleted it, so the world will have to wait a little longer to see my work of genius.

Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. I have not visited the birds yet, but will.
    I was thrilled this morning to see a return of some Lorikeets to our Grevillea.
    I am still not quilting, and am despairing of the mojo ever returning!
    Good luck with your Greens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clingy WOW, he's cute. So sorry to hear you're having doctor issues and test issues - when a doc can't communicate with you, that is the worst. I've left a few docs who didn't communicate and am lucky enough to have one who does and doesn't order unnessary tests too. Unfortunately I've had so many surgeries and problems that I'm not one to flinch at having to undress anymore, but I understand how you feel. Take care and I hope the issue gets resolved. Hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'll get no argument from me - i stay away ... i don't know which i dislike more - the mandatory stepping on the scale in front of the entire waiting room, or my person and personal space being violated behind doors that may or may not be closed

    ReplyDelete
  4. My troupemate Jessamyn who is an ECG/EKG tech will tell you, unfortunately you do need to dress in one of those horrible gowns to do a testm and have those diodes stuck all over you.

    They should have told you in advance what was involved other than fasting though.

    You really should still get the important tests done and overwith. Better to know how everything is running, then be surprized if something awful does happen. Im certainly not looking forward to getting my bits squeezed like a pancake to test for brest cancer in 8 more years.

    Just think of the barrage of bloodtests, getting squirted with vile tasting novacane up the nose, and having a camera shoved up your nose and out your throat....not very pleasant. Ive also had to strip for xrays for various bouts of lung xrays from various ailments in the past. Im just thankful I havent broken anything (knock on wood)

    Maybe I get over it quick cause done body paint on nude people, and have drawn nudes in the past, and fitting bras for performances is always an interesting endevour when the girls in the troupe get me to strip down to put more stuff on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jennifer,
    Isn't is upsetting when doctors don't communicate with you properly. I do wish you would reconsider having the Xray. Usually you can go into a change room and puut on the gown and then have the Xray, so you can remain covered. If you explain to the tech how you feel they should be understanding.

    I totally understand because I am just going through a huge round of test with the cardiology clinic and have had to disrobe several time in the past few weeks.

    I sure you can work something out if it means your health. Try to take the long view. Many Hugs Deb

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!