Sydney (not the rest of New South Wales or Australia which couldn't care less, just Sydney) is going nostalgic over the Olympic Games which were held there ten years ago. Like all Olympic Games they had their daggy official mascots based on Aussie animals and birds the names of which have completely left my mind, which tells you how memorable they must have been. The wombat was not one of them.....not until Fatso The Fat-Arsed Wombat was chosen by a TV program as an unofficial mascot. Fatso became more beloved than all the others put together and to find one now would be as rare as finding hen's teeth; I don't have Fatso in my collection but would love to. We went to New Zealand for the duration and the games completely passed us by; we even met some people we knew while we were there, as New Zealand was full of Aussies like us who were also sport refugees. And everyone we met there knew about Fatso.
But I am finding the nostalgia vaguely sickly....the way the media is going on about it nothing good has happened in Sydney since then, its glory days are behind it, it was such a wonderful time, nothing will ever be as good again etc.....come on people get over it, life has moved on and we are all ten years older.
Now that spring seems to be sprung there are many surprises popping up in our garden including these daisies which grow in dappled shade, so they are a darker colour than the ones in bright sun -which are paler purple and even white. I don't know what they are but they open up on sunny days, close up on dull days and grow like weeds. Perhaps they are weeds......they are quite pretty......the back garden has a small tree which lost its leaves just after we moved here in autumn, now it is covered in tiny buds two of which are about to flower, and it looks as though they will be pink. I have no idea what it is. And we have bluebells, and white May bushes in flower. May bush flowers in spring - September - in Australia, not in May as it does in the Northern Hemisphere, but of course it is still called May bush just confuse everyone.
The sad and sorry saga of EQ7 and our computer continues. We thought it was fixed last week, but no.....it lulled us into a false sense of security. Last October, two days before we flew out for our Canadian holiday, we had a severe electrical storm which hit j-u-s-t as I switched off the computer. The storm fried the modem as well as doing some damage to the computer but we knew not what. After we came home we bought a new modem and had some work done to the computer but it seems that the damage done then is causing problems now, to the extent that we are thinking that a new computer may be in our near future. At least we have a new keyboard and mouse. I am getting very good at sighing.......
At least I worked on my challenge quilt while the computer was back in hospital for several days. The blocks for the centre are all laid out and some are joined. It will have a narrow inner border of dark blue but I am a little undecided about the outer border, so I will sew as far as the blue border then listen to what the quilt has to say about what it wants.
And joy of joys, I have found someone to play music with - a local bloke who likes lots of the music I like - I am so happy.
"Your children will form habits of evil-speaking if they hear you deal lightly with the reputation of another - if they hear you slander or revile your neighbour. If you wish your children to show charity toward the erring, you must set the example by the habitual exercise of that virtue yourself. Without this your teaching will be of but little avail. If you take pleasure in dwelling upon the faults of others, if you refuse to cover over their infirmities with the mantle of charity, your example will nullify your teaching, and your admonitions will be lost."
Now I have just finished a cup of most excellent coffee so back to the sewing machine. Have a lovely week!
Jennifer
Oh, Jennifer....those daisy-like flowers are lovely. I carried Shasta daisies and white carnations in my wedding bouquet...daisies are my favorite flower!
ReplyDeleteMakes ure you post pictures of your challenge quilt...I'm getting quite excited to see it.
Those daisy-like flowers are gorgeous -- love the colour!!
ReplyDeleteHope your computer problems are soon all solved.
you're such a busy little wombat - lol.... good luck with the computer.
ReplyDeleteBefore you get a new one, if you can, I would highly recommend you do a backup on DVD of your hard drive. I realize it may take up alot of disks, but its worth it so you dont loose anything.
ReplyDeleteand just when i thought i had enough of purple and daisies ... those are pretty little flowers!!!
ReplyDeleteColorado escaped the Olympics a few decades ago - thank gawd - or we'd never hear the end of it, either
I am LOL on the floor Rolling around at " fatso and fat arsed Wombat". That is an absolute hoot.
ReplyDeletePS were you originally from Canada!