Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Something achieved!

What do you think about my Jacob's Ladder blocks, these two were made to pin on the wall at quilt group so anyone making my block can see what I have in mind. I made one block with just two different green fabrics and the other block with lots of greens.......think I like it best. And I have fixed up the mistake. While I'm certain that I won't be given enough blocks to make a quilt it will certainly be the start of one. Years ago I had the idea to make a quilt in greens and creams but had thought of a Flying Goose variation, but I think this will work well. Must have a play with it in EQ7.

Yesterday The Only Choir In Town put on its spring concert and I achieved something I never thought I would do. I have sung an aria from Handel's "Messiah"....one with lots of high notes....never thought I could do that. Just as well no one could hear too closely because I suspect my notes came out sounding more like a mouse than a bird. We had a varied program and sang quite a lot of songs, it was well received. At the concert I heard a rumour that there is another choir in town - perhaps I could follow that up. There are also a couple of church choirs but I don't attend church.

Today I did my first stint as a volunteer. We have both made enquiries about local opportunities for volunteers and have a few options to try. I am now the librarian at a small college which runs courses in counselling and will do that each Monday morning, except for once a month when I go to quilt group. There are a couple of other places I am interested in working at too, the local art gallery and also the local history museum and possibly the visitor information centre.

It's started lightly raining, the gardens will be pleased. We are continually being surprised by what is coming into bloom, the latest is a shrub in the front garden which has little purple flowers, the leaves are tiny, pale green with light edges; it's very lacy and pretty. And something else that at first I thought might be a camellia, which has small very dark red flowers. Perhaps I will take a cutting of them along to a local nursery for identification. The reserve over the back fence has lots of dark green thistles, but it also has some little pink/mauve poppies and some other flowering plants that I suspect are weeds. It's colourful anyway.

It's been several months since my hair had the ministrations of a hairdresser. I have checked a couple of local salons, might check one or two more before making a decision as to which one I shall patronise - it's an important thing isn't it, one's relationship with one's hairdresser? My hair is long and I like it that way, past my bra strap, but it does need a couple of inches off the bottom to tidy it up. And it has also been several months since I had any colour put in......when one has been colouring one's hair for many years it takes courage to stop. My life has reached the point where I feel I now can. So the grey hair that I fought against for so long is coming through, and the hair which is now uncoloured is darker than I thought it would be. Nature originally gave me auburn hair and the colour I used for so long was also auburn, so goodness knows what it will look like in a year or so.......watch this space for updates.......

"The Hair.
There is nothing that so adds to the charm of an individual, especially a lady, as a good head of hair. The skin of the head requires even more tenderness and cleanliness than any other portion of the body, and is capable of being irritated by disease."

Now it's time to play with some fabric. Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

6 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    Love the blocks...

    It sounds like you are getting settled in rather well. Glad you enjoyed singing with the choir. The volunteering is especially good as you will meet more people and it sounds like fun.

    Oh, I finally found a hairdresser that I actually like - and who cuts my hair well...my last one moved out of town and it took me forever to find one I liked.

    I decided to go anatural with my hair a few years ago and I do not miss dying it in the least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jennifer, I love those Jacob's Ladder blocks...it's one of my favorite block, next to the Flying Geese block.

    I am constantly amazed at how similar we are to each other...I, too, am a redhead, with hair past my bra strap, letting the grey come in as it will. I suppose next you'll tell me your birthday is in January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blocks - I'm such a huge fan of green, one of my favorite colors and I gravitate toward all green fabric. I do try to branch out, but it's difficult. How awesome that you sang the aria and showed yourself that you've got what it takes - good for you!! I wish I could be brave and not care about hair color, but I am not ready to see how much grey I have so I'll continue on with color for a while. I hope you find a hairdresser you like, it's such an important thing/relationship in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding a good hairdresser is huge! My hair started to go white when I was in my 30s. I coloured it for years and then finally, in my late 40s, decided to let it go. I'm so glad I did. It was getting harder and harder to maintain and was just too much work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear sweet singing!

    To find a hairdresser you like and trust is almost impossible and if you do they will move so you have to find another ( or cut it yourself).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those blocks looks so pretty but oh so complicated!

    Good on you for volunteering. I volunteered on governing council at the high school for two years but of course we're out of the system now. Now I volunteer as part of my grandparenting duties. (It still sounds weird for me to say I'm a grandparent - I'm really not grown up enough )

    My hairdresser went AWOL, and I didnt like the last haircut I had , so I'm looking for another hairdresser. Havent had a colour since FEBRUARY! Or a cut since April. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!