Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Quilting Gallery Weekly Contest

This week's contest is "scrap quilts", so just for fun I entered my Road to St Louis quilt. I called it "Meet Me At The Fair" - remember the movie and its title song? Here it is in progress when I was quilting it, the contest and a full pic are here. There are some lovely scrappy quilts!

Slacko that I am, I still haven't started quilting my challenge quilt. My pedal foot and back have both been saying "wait a few days" but I want to get started. Yesterday the chiropractor did wonders so I think it's time to begin.
The reserve over the back fence is green and full of growing plants, I have no idea what they are - probably weeds. The taller flowers poking up their heads are wild poppies, pale mauve with deep purple centres.
The previous owner planted a large clump of these irises just outside the back fence, then dug some up to take with her. We don't mind as there are still lots and lots left! We have been noticing that irises are popular in gardens here and I have seen some beautifully coloured ones, these are pale creamy peach. The whole clump seems to be the same colour.

They will probably grow even more today because it is raining, very welcome rain. The yellow rose in the front garden is fully open and is scrumptiously gorgeous. Looks as though another of the roses will be red, and we don't know what the other colours will be. Next week we will be going away for ten days so with our luck they will all come into glorious bloom while we are away.

And The Only Choir In Town definitely isn't! I have joined another choir so that means singing on Monday and Thursday nights. One is more formal in its repertoire, the other is more light-hearted - each have their place, and I enjoy them both.

"The Obligation of an Introduction.
Two persons who have been properly introduced have in future certain claims upon one another's acquaintance which should be recognized, unless there are sufficient reasons for overlooking them. Even in that case good manners require the formal bow of recognition upon meeting, which, of itself, encourages no familiarity. Only a very ill-bred person will meet another with a stare."

Now that I have learnt how to put a fancy-nancy signature on my blog posts I would like to learn how to put my name on my pictures. I could always google it, couldn't I - that's how I found out how to make a signature.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. Your irises are gorgeous!! We always had purple ones in the garden when I was growing up as they were my father's favourite. This spring and summer must be really fun for you as you see what flowers you have in your gardens for the first time!
    Love your quilt -- the quilting you did on it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jennifer, I forgot to post my new signature...did you see Barb's at Bejeweled...she's written a whole line....
    I do think that weeds are only something you don't want in your garden...if they bloom on the other side of the fence...wild flowers.
    Sing your heart out girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt Jennifer - I remember the movie, I might rent it to see it again. Isn't it funny how some of the weeds are beautiful and bring gorgeous colors for us to enjoy - I'm never sure if it's a week or a flower, but if it's pretty I enjoy it. Your Iris's are pretty, love that color. I hope to get back to sewing this next week as we will finally be home for a while. We've been on the go all summer and fall and it's time to nest and sew. Can't wait to see your next project. hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt and flowers! Being in a drier climate, you will not have to worry about leaf mould.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy if you have Picasa on your computer you can put words on your pictures. So you can have your name on them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!