No I'm not depressed, far from it! Last night DH Kevin and I went to see Del Rey perform, Del is visiting Australia and did a show in Sydney last night. We have seen her before and she is fabulous. She spoke of Memphis Minnie...now there's a woman I would have liked to have known, sounds like she would have been a real ripper. Del plays blues/boogie guitar and ukelele.
This little quilt was made a few years when a couple of friends and I challenged each other to make a quilt representing a particular month. My month was January, chosen because I don't really like the heat of summer - after all, it was supposed to be a challenge! The sky in an Australian summer is a very intense blue , so blue that it hurts your eyes on a hot day to look at it, and the heat haze shimmers. As many of my quilts have names with a musical reference I called this little one "There ain't no cure for the summertime blues" from the old song by Eddie Cochrane.
When we visited Canada late in 2007 we - Kevin, the lovely Kiera-Oona and I - spent several hours at the Textile Museum of Canada in Toronto. What a fascinating place....lots of hands-on things to play with, and two exhibitions to see, one of which was called "The Blues" about the influence of indigo fabric on various cultures. There was a lovely old quilt from the late 19th century, indigo blue stars on a white background, as well as fabrics and clothing from Asia, Africa and America, and great blues music (of course!) playing in the background. There was a film showing the making of indigo dye which Kevin found interesting, he likes to know how things are done. If I am lucky enough to visit Toronto again the Textile Museum is definitely on my list of Places To Visit. It also has the best shop I have ever seen for books on textiles. Had to think of the baggage allowance though....and I had already bought the book, 'Ontario's Heritage Quilts', which they had.
I'm wearing a blue shirt today, somehow it seems appropriate.
Jennifer
Shame on me .... I live in Toronto and have yet to visit the museum. I have donated fabric to them for their sale that they have in May every year. Thank you for reminding me to visit them sometime soon.
ReplyDeletei will go with you next time you come down, i will also bring a camera, and some cash!
ReplyDeleteI found the indigo very facinating cause its similar properties to the way they make henna dyes.
Hi! Thank you for stopping by my little space and most especially for your suggestions regarding my lap quilt border. I like the "square in a square" for the corners. I'll keep it in mind as it looks like I need another plan. My hubby wants something less busy, too, and brighter.
ReplyDeleteI love your quilt, "There ain't no cure for the summertime blues." The blues are fantastic. It's quite striking in it's simplicity.